Is it normal to have bad rust under rear end??

KevinS38L

Reaction score
First time getting the car up on the ramp since i bought it last week. Seems to be a lot of rust on the rear drive shafts (outer sleeving is fully cracked) and rear subframe/axel very rusted hopefully only surface. Is this common as the car is otherwise rust free. Do i need to think about replacement parts or would i be able to treat the rust and then protect with paint etc
The boots and arms all look ok on the back so i wonder how serious this may be?

First time getting the car up on the ramp since i bought it last week. Seems to be a lot of rust on the rear drive shafts (outer sleeving is fully cracked) and rear subframe/axel very rusted hopefully only surface. Is this common as the car is otherwise rust free. Do i need to think about replacement parts or would i be able to treat the rust and then protect with paint etc
The boots and arms all look ok on the back so i wonder how serious this may be?
I would clean it up really well then inspect to see if anything likely pop's up then replacement as necessary...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi mate getting access to a ramp is quite a drive from my house so id rather be prepared with paint or parts. So just asking what others have had to do on theirs.
Its got 90k on the clock owned by 1 owner for 17 years. Iv got stacks of history on it

Reactions: s3mad_dude and MPH
Fairly normal tbh... some are worse than others... typically derived from the winter months with salt on the roads etc and not washing it all off regularly

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty I thought it must be common. Im tempted to run it through an early mot but really don’t want any advisories for rust on the cars history. Maybe have to get someone to check the drive shafts though as im planning to have it mapped by Amd soon.