Are both wing mirrors usually heated?

V6monkey

Reaction score
The passenger side wing mirror on my s3 doesn't seem to have heating. It doesn't clear like the driver side.

Is it broken, or could they be specc'd with just one heated side?

I'm guessing it's broken, but figured I'd check..

Hmm. Thought as much. Will remove the mirror glass and see if theres something obvious with the wires.

Release the mirror and measure the voltage across it,. Switch the rear window heater on of course. That way you'll know if it's the element or the wiring.

Release the mirror and measure the voltage across it,. Switch the rear window heater on of course. That way you'll know if it's the element or the wiring.

They come on with the rear window heater? I had thought they come on automatically (when the cluster shows the frost symbol, which it does when it's about 5c or below) when the wing mirror adjuster knob is in the middle (pointed at the heater symbol)...?

They come on with the rear window heater? I had thought they come on automatically (when the cluster shows the frost symbol, which it does when it's about 5c or below) when the wing mirror adjuster knob is in the middle (pointed at the heater symbol)...?

Yeah, mirror remote button on door set to heater (6 o'clock position on mine) then heated rear window switched on manually does the trick.

I tried out my mirror heating yesterday (a mild day about 9 degrees Celsius) and the mirror became warm to the touch after putting the mirror heating on by turning the adjuster knob to the 12 o’clock position , my car does have power folding mirrors though .
I definitely didn’t need the HRW switch on to activate the mirror heating , as it was off during my little experiment .......

Perhaps it’s because mine is a Facelift it works with HRW, definitely don’t need to use the mirror switch.

Perhaps it’s because mine is a Facelift it works with HRW, definitely don’t need to use the mirror switch.

Until this thread I had no idea how the mirrors heated , and I’ve only had the car 3 1/2 years !
I remember on my old A4 the HRW had to be on for the mirrors to heat and assumed the (pre-facelift) A3 was the same...obviously not.

Just consulted the handbook and it says the heated mirrors come on dependant on the outside temperature. So not switches to turn as I’ve been doing for the last 10years of Audi ownership. :rtfm::smile new: