Gearbox Trouble

EctoA3

Reaction score
Hi,

I cant engage any gears left of neutral on my 6 speed manual 2.0 tfsi (so reverse, 1st and 2nd)

Engine off or on makes no difference, nor does clutch position. The gearstick itself wont move to the left of the neutral position but will otherwise move around freely (although not as smoothly as it ordinarily would)

Seems that both linkage cables are connected to the gearbox but i did not pry any further and get a better look (as this would involve removing the air filter housing etc) so ive come to you, the fine people of the internet for suggestions so, of the possible causes (things like linkage bearings, cables, selector forks etc) what do you reckon is the most likely cause?

I saw a post about a very similar problem with a TT from the same era, however in that instance it would seem that they could still move the stick into 1st and 2nd positions and reverse still worked (until it got stuck in 1st) which turned out to be a broken selector fork, but as i said my gearstick wont actually move left of neutral so im kinda hoping it isnt the same issue

But anyway, please help if you can, id really appreciate it!