how do golf's get better mpg than audis with same engine

y15usf

Reaction score
Of course there will be a few factors like areo dynamics and weight but the Audi surely has better areos and cant weigh to much more to affect the mpg so much.

Golf MPG :

Urban Mpg 44.1 mpg
Extra Urban Mpg 70.6 mpg
Fuel Consumption 57.6 mpg

My Audi MPG :

Urban Mpg 38.6 mpg
Extra Urban Mpg 61.4 mpg
Fuel Consumption 50.4 mpg

Depends what you’re comparing? Petrol or diesel, bhp output, torque output, engine capacity, turbo’d or na, manual? Auto? Dsg?, 4WD or FWD, there’s a lot of variables model to model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: paddy
The manufactures figures frankly are pie in sky. Audi’s are usually heavier with extra kit, dsg and Quattro. My dsg Quattro has the just about every extra bolted on and only managed about 26mpg. Had a stage 1 remap and now does 29 to 32mpg. Even driving like a granny it wouldnt be anymore economical.

Depends what you’re comparing? Petrol or diesel, bhp output, torque output, engine capacity, turbo’d or na, manual? Auto? Dsg?, 4WD or FWD, there’s a lot of variables model to model

Diesel, Same engine, same engine sizes , same turbo, same bhp output etc between the 2 cars.

The example above is also both cars 2wd but mine is dsg and the other is manual.

But even direct comparison between 2 identical speced cars the golf is always the better at mpg.

I am new to the car scene so take this with a pinch of salt . am i right to assume audis are built with better / heavier parts and therefore reflects on the mpg ?

Also for those how have suffered low ish MPG in a diesel what would you recommended to improve mpg ?

My car borders between 25 - 35 :( not fair when my buddies with same / similar engines getting 40 plus on other vag cars.

You will always get different published mpg figures with manual and dsg cars.
Mpg depends on how heavy your right foot is and I noticed in the past that I get a better mpg from V power compared to 95 RON petrol. Depends on how much urban driving being done. Also short journeys will use more fuel than a run.
2 cars with identical spec from VW or Audi should weigh similar amounts and they are not going to use less heavy or less substantial parts on VW cars.
The car mpg computer is not always accurate.
I have to drive 17 miles to work in a Mk 4 Gti 1.8T with a mix of roads.
I have done this journey for 5 years and randomly the overall mpg will go up and down even trying to match the driving style.
I would not be too concerned, if the car runs well just enjoy the drive!

Reactions: Bryant1998
Diesel, Same engine, same engine sizes , same turbo, same bhp output etc between the 2 cars.

The example above is also both cars 2wd but mine is dsg and the other is manual.

But even direct comparison between 2 identical speced cars the golf is always the better at mpg.

I am new to the car scene so take this with a pinch of salt . am i right to assume audis are built with better / heavier parts and therefore reflects on the mpg ?

Also for those how have suffered low ish MPG in a diesel what would you recommended to improve mpg ?

My car borders between 25 - 35 :( not fair when my buddies with same / similar engines getting 40 plus on other vag cars.

I’m interested which of these cars you’re on about, because VW/Audi have different engines, for example vw’s tsi and Audi’s tfsi
(I don’t know enough evo it diesel cars as I’ve never owned one, but are they both direct injection or common rail or not the same?)

Are the mileages the same between the cars? Remapped? Exhaust modded? Same fuel? Not using premium shell vs Morrison’s cheap stuff?Etc etc

Dsg and manual will always be different, and your drivings styles will probably be different. Even down to how well/often you do servicing can effect your mpg.

25-35mpg is shockingly low, I can make my S3 do 28ish mpg... I’d suggest a good service, engine clean and maybe a map because I don’t see how you can be getting such bad fuel economy.

I’ve spent the last 3 days taking parts off/replacing parts on my S3 and 9/10 parts have VW-AUDI stamped on them, so it’s the same quality parts. A lot of them are interchangeable so no I wouldn’t say Audi’s are heavier because they’re better quality.
Higher quality doesn’t mean heavier either, carbon fibre is a much better quality than a thick solid plastic but carbon fibre weighs less.

Are both cars doing 2000rpm 70mph in 6th gear or is the Audi at 2200 rpm to do the same speed. There’s a difference in some gearboxes ratios. Have a look

This. Gearbox ratios is Audis seem to be shorter, which in turn are worse for mpg's.
I have a 09 2.0 tdi 170.
6th gear on the motorway at 1800 rpm/63mph cruise control, I get 49-52mpg in winter and 52-56mpg in summer.
My gearbox may need some work in the near future, and I am going to investigate if I can change the internals to some taller ratios like in the golf's to get even better fuel mileage.