Interesting electrical issue

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Morning all,

I suspect it’s some water getting in somewhere.... but maybe some of you have had similar issues.

Basically my car when stationary when I open the boot, the 3rd brake light comes on. When the cars running the 3rd brake light is on all the time but the boot won’t open, the rear wiper doesn’t work either.

When I put my foot on the brake pedal, brake lights come on but 3rd brake light goes off and then throws a brake lamp bulb gone error. Beeps every time you put your foot on the pedal.

Any ideas where best to start my investigations. It’s got to be water related I’m sure.

Regards,

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning all,

I suspect it’s some water getting in somewhere.... but maybe some of you have had similar issues.

Basically my car when stationary when I open the boot, the 3rd brake light comes on. When the cars running the 3rd brake light is on all the time but the boot won’t open, the rear wiper doesn’t work either.

When I put my foot on the brake pedal, brake lights come on but 3rd brake light goes off and then throws a brake lamp bulb gone error. Beeps every time you put your foot on the pedal.

Any ideas where best to start my investigations. It’s got to be water related I’m sure.

Regards,

Ash

I would start with the brake light switch to be honest

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would start with the brake light switch to be honest

Yeah I thought that mate, but that wouldn’t effect rear wiper, would it?

Yeah I thought that mate, but that wouldn’t effect rear wiper, would it?

Possibly a wiring issue where it runs through into the boot not sounding like water damage though

Reactions: S3AMJ
I agree with mph just had similar in my golf where the wire runs from the boot to the car I stripped the harness tape of and found 4 broken wires I’d try there 1st

Reactions: S3AMJ and MPH
Time to get the old tool kit out and start disassembling... this car knows it’s going in for an MOT next week. ****** thing!

Time to get the old tool kit out and start disassembling... this car knows it’s going in for an MOT next week. ****** thing!

Sometimes they just know the mot is coming good luck with the investigations

As you're already aware I'm sure wiring does get brittle in the cold weather

Yeah that’s true, we did suffer from some frosty morning here’s past couple of days. I’ll let you guys know how I get on

Reactions: MPH
Well...... didn’t get to the bottom of this, but car fixed itself after a long 130 mile drive. Winner!

Reactions: Asim1
I expect you fed it petrol after midnight...that always affects the gremlins.

I expect you fed it petrol after midnight...that always affects the gremlins.

Ahhhh now you come to mention it mate..... haha.

Reactions: Asim1
I had a weird problem last week. Put a new boot lid on my car it came with it's own wiper motor..I used the original wires that were on my boot (so annoying to thread through). Anywho got the boot on extremely simple but nothing apart from the wiper motor and left hand side boot release were working bot the right one or the licence plate lights. Asked an electrician neighbour who noticed on the wiper motor it has power going in and then power coming back out. Put on my original wiper motor that came with the car and everything was sorted straight away..simple fix and made my day as my old boot had rust spots and chipped paint and all round looked crap

Hi guys,

Looking at this issue again. Seems to be some clicking coming from this.....

I can only assume there’s some relays in there which are causing my 3rd brake light to be on all the time.

Anyone know what it is and what’s in it?

b8da05773ceca5e758b0d66f93b04f88.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Looking at this issue again. Seems to be some clicking coming from this.....

I can only assume there’s some relays in there which are causing my 3rd brake light to be on all the time.

Anyone know what it is and what’s in it?

593d7b7357f8cf1a3d331513e0cdb194.jpg

What bit do you mean exactly

What bit do you mean exactly

Yeah sorry dude, just updated the picture circling the problem child.

It is central locking pump and controller

Ah right that’ll explain when I push the boot release button it clicks.... that bit makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is when I push the boot release button it also turns off the 3rd brake light momentarily haha. At least now I’ve disconnected the 3rd brake light it only warns me once that there’s a bulb out.

Ah right that’ll explain when I push the boot release button it clicks.... that bit makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is when I push the boot release button it also turns off the 3rd brake light momentarily haha. At least now I’ve disconnected the 3rd brake light it only warns me once that there’s a bulb out.

I would suggest to take a close look at all the wiring in the boot area

I’ve unplugged everything and nothing changes mate. brake lights work under normal conditions, just the 3rd brake light is on all the time, until you press the brake pedal and then it goes off showing an error on the dash.

I’ve unplugged everything and nothing changes mate. brake lights work under normal conditions, just the 3rd brake light is on all the time, until you press the brake pedal and then it goes off showing an error on the dash.

Sounds like a hard to find short to me good luck mate.

Sounds like a hard to find short to me good luck mate.

Haha yeah, don’t think it’s going to be easy. But at least it’s not warning me I’ve got a brake light out every time I press my brake pedal now.......

Slight update on this..... unplugged the 3rd brake light and now it only notifies me once of a brake light bulb gone, which is obvious. But everything powers as it should.

So this leads me to think there was an issue with my 3rd brake light causing some odd shorting. I will try and source a new one from Audi if they still exist.