Big mileage on a S3, a worry or not

Alfachats

Reaction score
Evening all, so I come from the Jap car scene (Honda CRX's, DC5's) where mileage is not really a problem, B16 VTEC engines will easily do 200k with no drama. I'm now in the market for a S3, unfortunately my budget is not massive and Im mainly looking at higher mileage cars (over 100k) should I worry about the mileage? or would I be better saving for longer and going for a lower mileage car?

Rog.

100k is just run in ;) just make sure it's got full service history so you know it's been looked after

If it’s been maintained well it will be rock solid, make sure the DSG oil, haldex oil and water pump have been changed at least once

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on the year, but make sure it's got the very latest version of the timing chain tensioner fitted. There were several versions before they got it right.

As above, budget for a timing chain if it hasn't been done, along with most of the bushes on the car.

i just turned 90k and i had it mapped from new....well 800 miles anyway... As has been said, its just run in but check everything else.....i had the rear diff go at 50k :) The running gear is fragile, suspension steering and all linkages and bushes wear . i hit just an expansion joint in the road on a bridge on Thursday and it was enough to set up a wheel wobble now at exactly 85mph, ok it was a bump but at speed it seems like the suspension cant react quick enough to bumps and shocks the whole chassis.

i just turned 90k and i had it mapped from new....well 800 miles anyway... As has been said, its just run in but check everything else.....i had the rear diff go at 50k :) The running gear is fragile, suspension steering and all linkages and bushes wear . i hit just an expansion joint in the road on a bridge on Thursday and it was enough to set up a wheel wobble now at exactly 85mph, ok it was a bump but at speed it seems like the suspension cant react quick enough to bumps and shocks the whole chassis.

If its at a certain speed then you have probably lost a wheel weight mate.

If only life was that simple. Its been doing it for 40k miles and 3 sets of tyres. changed wheel bearings, discs, hubs, drop links, sometimes its fine but a heavy bump in the road will set it off. It will slowly recover over about 500 miles.
Its the one reason i dont spend any more money on this car even though i love it....If i cant sort it, independents cant sort it and Audi wont even look at it because they cant replicate the problem as its at 85mph then what do you do...

Off topic a bit but it does raise interesting questions because garages will only look for faults up to 70mph and most cars will do double that. They will look for anything obvious in a general inspection but they seem to have no obligation in the UK to find fault above the national speed limit. Bit of a bummer if you just paid £35k for a 150 mph car....

Reactions: Bryant1998
It sounds like the prop shaft or rubber donut problem, I have it as well. My local main dealer says it needs a new prop & donut at a cost of £1300 + fitting. I did say to them they can do that but if doesn’t cure the 80mph wobble they can refit the original prop and refund me but they wouldn’t commit themselves to that, I wonder why.

Hi Sooty
Done that, Audi only supply a doughnut with a prop as you say for £1300 but you can buy the doughnut on line from all german spares for about £25.00. I had a new one fitted with the new Diff at 60k miles, didn't make any difference. I am beginning to think its the steering rack ...

There is a metal ring at the rear of prop which can come loose, have you checked that? My local garage have had a couple of Audi’s in where it detached itself fro the prop.
I can’t see how a steering rack can cause imbalance at all, it doesn’t rotate.
I’m thinking of having a a 4 wheel alignment as one of the rear tyres is showing signs of feathering and a small chance it may cure the imbalance. I’ll be going to AMD for for that and see what they say.

We had the prop off to change the doughnut and it looked fine. I dont want to pee on your fireworks but had the 4 wheel balance done twice to no avail
On my car the wobble comes in at 80-85 and its about the same time the steering gets really light. I would expect the steering to stiffen up as you go faster but as the wobble is through the steering wheel i just wonder if its a portion of the rack, it seems to get a little better if you apply pressure to the steering wheel say on a long bend at the same speed. Basic imbalances like tyres and wheels and props usually show up at 30-50 mph, if they are running good on the machine and at 70 on the car they are not likely to then be out of balance at 80. Thats why i think its more of a "rattle" that manifests itself as a wobble.

We had the prop off to change the doughnut and it looked fine. I dont want to pee on your fireworks but had the 4 wheel balance done twice to no avail
On my car the wobble comes in at 80-85 and its about the same time the steering gets really light. I would expect the steering to stiffen up as you go faster but as the wobble is through the steering wheel i just wonder if its a portion of the rack, it seems to get a little better if you apply pressure to the steering wheel say on a long bend at the same speed. Basic imbalances like tyres and wheels and props usually show up at 30-50 mph, if they are running good on the machine and at 70 on the car they are not likely to then be out of balance at 80. Thats why i think its more of a "rattle" that manifests itself as a wobble.

Could it be a slightly buckled wheel? Just a tiny flat spot not visible to the eye?

Well its possible but we did swap them front to back and it made no odds. Something like that could set up a frequency vibration rather than an out of balance vibration, possibly combined with a particular road surface.
Several times my finger has hovered over the button to but some OZ wheels but i keep thinking its £1000 down the plug if it doesnt fix the problem, i really dont want to plough any more money in to a car thats no fun to drive much over 70mph... TBH its been like this for 40k miles, its completely spoilt the experience of ownership and i am no nearer sorting it than i was 4 years ago. Hate to say it but its the 2nd Audi i have owned thats failed to perform its basic function properly and i would never buy another TBH. I paid £35k for it and have spent over £10k in parts to keep it going...

That’s a fair point mate, could be worth finding someone local who can/would swap wheels with you for a day or two to see if that fixes it?

You’ve got more patience than me anyway! 4 years and still not fixed? I would’ve got rid after a year max, Shame really because this is the longest I’ve owned a car and really don’t want to sell it, unless I came into some big money or had ultra pressing family ‘commitments’ (is that the right thing to call a baby? LOL) I can’t find anything that will match it on fun/looks/price...

Real bummer anyway mate never knew this issue had been going on for so long

Could it be a slightly buckled wheel? Just a tiny flat spot not visible to the eye?
I have had all 4 wheels & tyres changed an d it made no difference. Only changed them because I didn’t like the wheels that come with the car.
Never thought of Paddy’s idea of the treeing rack causing the transmission wobble, kind of possible, who is going to try that first?