P0441 query as now getting P0172

Crs

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been getting y P0441 error - Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow
It causes a Engine Management Light to come on. If I reset it it usually goes away for a week or two but has started coming back.

Today I was driving and noticed the car felt lifeless , almost like there was not much turbo - felt like a limp mode but no engine management light on...

I check with Vagcom and see I have pending codes;
P0441 again but this time , and for the first time ever; P0172 - system too rich bank 1.
When I reset it car returns to normal performance

But obviously something is wrong and I should fix it any idea what? Someone suggested the fuel cap could be the issue as the seal is weak. This is a 2012 car and yes the oil cap seal doesn't look perfect but i'd be suprised if it's leaking as it doesn't look cracked either!

Someone suggested replacing the EVAP canister purge valve, is this likely to cause the P0172 issue, or is that going to be my MAF or O2 sensor?

Please help so I don't have to waste too much time or money - it's Christmas!

always put your car detail in your sig so we know what engine you have :)
Check dipstick is sealing for P0172 you need the orange updated stick not the yellow one.

Hoping you all had a Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the advice, is the 2011 8P s3 the CDLA engine?

I replaced the n80 - I bought a cheap £14 off amazon and feel it may have been a mistake ?
I still get the same two codes coming and car going into limp mode but the alerts are only pending.. I reset them and car is fine again.

I then repalced the fuel cap with a Febi, 27288 , it doesn't list that it's supported on the 8P chassis but I read this is only because it requires more twists to "lock" than the original. To me it fitted quite well so I hope I did the right thing here!

Anyway still getting those codes logged and it's happening on a daily basis. What's the next stage , do you honestly think I should just go to Audi and spend another £50 to get their version of the n80 valve or do you think it's the carbon canister / MAF, what would be your next biggest suspicion? Can has 80k miles

Oh finally yes I have the new uprated orange dipstick - bought it a while ago :)

My carbon canister failed at 45k miles, carbon fell to bits and blocked the solenoid valve.
No idea if this could be your problem though.