S3 Insurance

SuperKid

Reaction score
Insurance is up in January, I paid just over 1000 for my current policy. I am getting quotes of 1700+ for renewal. I have had 2 accidents in total one in 2017, non-fault, stationary hit in the rear and recovered costs. The second this year reversed into by uninsured driver in which I paid for the repairs myself.

I am 26, 3 years driving, 2 years ncb. Has anyone else noticed the price has gone up? Interstingly if I remove my claims the quote is even higher!!

Any suggestions who I could try for a quote?

Insurance is up in January, I paid just over 1000 for my current policy. I am getting quotes of 1700+ for renewal. I have had 2 accidents in total one in 2017, non-fault, stationary hit in the rear and recovered costs. The second this year reversed into by uninsured driver in which I paid for the repairs myself.

I am 26, 3 years driving, 2 years ncb. Has anyone else noticed the price has gone up? Interstingly if I remove my claims the quote is even higher!!

Aviva, Direct line, Audi insurance or use a comparison site. Never stay with same provider unless they match the a better quote mate.

Reactions: CHEZ and KenL
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: leonwilliams

Speak to your current Insurer over the phone, you might be surprised how much they will drop if you give them info on a cheaper quote you got elsewhere.
I got 20% off
ps. always be honest about previous claims they might come back to bite you later.

I find Admiral are pretty good. I have two cars on one policy and their prices are most reasonable. Can’t say what they’d be like if I ever had to make a claim though. Interestingly, changing the S3 from a 2003 model to the 2016 model earlier this year was an additional £360 for the 11 months remainder of the policy. I thought that was a bit expensive but then again it is worth £20+k instead of £4k. Best advice as others have said is to shop around.

Have you told the insurance company about the second accident? If you paid for it yourself, and didn't claim, then why tell them?

I've recently renewed mine, but have 3 cars on the policy, as well as home insurance. I'm with Admiral. Been with them for years, and my insurance has hardly ever changed. They try to put it up every year, but a simple phone call to them saying I can get last years quote elsewhere, soon sees them dropping it down again.

If you have your own place, try Admiral and stick your home insurance on. The more you have on, the cheaper everything is.

But also, at 26, and the type of car you have, you'l get hit most by the rise in premiums for this type of car. The more S3's are stolen or crashed, the more the car becomes a risk. So the more the premiums become.

Interstingly if I remove my claims the quote is even higher!!

Probably because all insurance companies share information and it may have flagged up that you are hiding the truth...so up it goes so you don't go with them!

Try AXA direct, if you have a dashcam you also get 10% off.

Give Adrian Flux a go. Very competitive - halved my renewal price this year. I think there is a discount for forum members.

Also, have a look into other things that may bring the price down. Couple of easy ones would be, adding other drivers who are older than you (with good no claims, no points etc), limiting your mileage (if you can). Both of these things will be viewed as you driving the car less, so less risk of them having to fork out.

Aviva have been the cheapest for me for the past few years, especially if you’ve done the Aviva drive app, think my 8/10 score gets something like 25% discount on my policy.

AXA also seem quite cheap too but never had a policy, Admiral also usually come up quite cheap but after trying to claim with them on a previous policy I’d never touch them again...

I remember reading this thread :tearsofjoy: guess it works out for some and not others, also I do get a discount because of a multi car policy too.

AXA and Aviva were the same price this year give or take £10 but decided to stick with what I know, plus Aviva seem very relaxed with regards to mods in my experience whereas AXA a little more dubious.

Reactions: S32B
Probably because all insurance companies share information and it may have flagged up that you are hiding the truth...so up it goes so you don't go with them!

Try AXA direct, if you have a dashcam you also get 10% off.

True, I did think that!

I'll try AXA direct.

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Tried Adrian Flux and you quoted around 2000.

All insurers have access to the motor insurance database and will be run checks to validate your claims history, if you don’t declare all your claims it’s likely they will find out and cancel your insurance, you will then have to declare that you’ve had insurance declined, it would then be very difficult to get future insurance at a reasonable price.

I’m not saying you’re doing that just be careful when playing with quotes etc that you don’t forget to add all details when it comes to finalising prices.

Reactions: Peto
It's the all too familiar renewal cat and mouse game.
Your present insurer will send you a renewal letter, always more than last year.
You go onto a comparison site, find it cheaper, give them a bell, and voila, they can match it or do it cheaper.
Every year I have to go through this cat and mouse fiasco.
Why they just don't be sensible and offer you a realistic price in the first place is how these crooks operate.
Suppose they do have a business to run and this is there chosen method of trying it on.
I wonder how many people just pay it?
It makes you wonder how many vulnerable people just accept it in the first place.
Always shop around no matter what your circumstances are that's my advice

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant1998, AllanG and Jcbmally
It's the all too familiar renewal cat and mouse.
Your present insurer will send you a renewal letter, always more than last year.
You go onto a comparison site, find it cheaper, give them a bell and voila, they can match it or do it cheaper.
Every year I have to go through this cat and mouse game.
Why they just don't be sensible and offer you a realistic price in the first place is how these crooks operate.
Suppose they do have a business to run and this is there chosen method of trying it on.
I wonder how many people just pay it?
Makes you wonder how many vulnerable people just accept it in the first place.
Always shop around no matter what your circumstances are that's my advice

It’s the people who just renew without challenging that they’ll rely on, the repeat customer who doesn’t want the hassle of looking. Their models must show they retain more than they lose.

It is surprising how much wriggle room there is when you pick up the phone.

I was surprised when I got the S3, how much more expensive it was to insure then the M3.

Reactions: KenL
My ST with 200hp is cheaper than an A3 with 115hp!

I was £389 last year with Lloyds. Renewal came through last week at £623. Cheapest I’ve had so far is £420. I tried Aviva and they wanted £1400!

I was surprised when I got the S3, how much more expensive it was to insure then the M3.

I'm surprised about that. As I'd have thought an M3 would be more of a target for tea leaves?

But then, the price point between M3 & S3 is huge. More people can afford an S3 over an M3, so more cars on the road. More chance of theft or crashes. Based on that, an RS5 is probably cheaper to insure than an S3.

When I had an R8 & Golf GTI Performance, it only cost me £700 a year. Lad at work was paying about the same for a Megane 250 RS.

You too young and they already know u have no experience .. and already accidents on file .. so of course it is gonna up

S3 in west london.
Audi insurance was cheapest last year at 2.5k.

This year they want 3k.

License held for nearly 4 years, with 1 non fault claim in the past. 3 years ncb.

Cheapest quote i've found this year is 2k with churchil.

S3 in west london.
Audi insurance was cheapest last year at 2.5k.

This year they want 3k.

License held for nearly 4 years, with 1 non fault claim in the past. 3 years ncb.

Cheapest quote i've found this year is 2k with churchil.
Ppl espec. youngs need to realize how this is crucial.. Insurance companies not gonna trust if u ****-up even once ..
I did quote on an S3 and I had no claim for 3 years and cheapest came up was £700 annual
Try admiral or elephant ..

I used to teach and was classed as a low risk, so cheap insurance. Now retired it looks like I'm more of a risk and at last renewal premium was noticeably higher.
I realised the only way to get the premium down was to raise my voluntary excess, which has always been £0 or £100. Then I noticed GoCompare were offering a free £250 excess cover, so going for this I got a premium reduction based on a £250 excess, but infact have a £0 excess plus compulsorty £100 due to the special offer. I know I've not got an S3, but as a guide this has meant £280 with protected ncd, inc 180 days Fully Comp European cover with a Liverpool postcode on my 35tfsi.
The offer is being advertised again, so could be worth a look as the savings are likely to be higher on an S3

Colin

Last edited:
My ST with 200hp is cheaper than an A3 with 115hp!
My 300bhp S3 was cheaper than the 190bhp A5, when I asked he said it's not all about the power. They take into consideration repair costs, the headlight costs on the A5 are double that of the ones I had on the S3.

Just had email from my current admiral insurer saying my renewal will be 850 I started to make new quotes and all resulted same or just 50 less or more So I just phoned admiral and he went through check ''refresh'' asked me if there are any changes I said not really so he said renewal will be £850 I said that's too much then he checked and said so you been with us 3 years with no claims... Then he asked what you willing to pay I said well £500 he said let me check and he offered discount £685 or something like that I said then can we meet at £650? Let me check .. and he said OK we can do £650 I was thinking like damn should 've said £600 :D So my insurance will be now £650 .. so £200 discount
It is really depending on many aspects .. They really don't want to loose customers so it is really good to negotiate .. when there is no any better result with other companies... otherwise you will say this company offered less and they will match it BUT not always so you need to communicate when on phone and it is now very important that you mention you have cameras front/back installed on as this helps and speeds up for them proving and processing claim...

My renewal quote came in today from Admiral, just under £1,200 for my S3 and Mini Countryman, 10 years NCD (wife had a single-car claim in March 2015 where she hit curb and popped two tyres causing damage to wheels on a Q5, cost £3,300 to repair).
Separately I was getting prices of around £350 for the Mini and £600 for the Audi, Admiral want £500 for the Mini and £678 for the Audi. Gonna call them and see if I can get the price down.
I work in insurance so I know the game, there's always wiggle room.

My renewal quote came in today from Admiral, just under £1,200 for my S3 and Mini Countryman, 10 years NCD (wife had a single-car claim in March 2015 where she hit curb and popped two tyres causing damage to wheels on a Q5, cost £3,300 to repair).
Separately I was getting prices of around £350 for the Mini and £600 for the Audi, Admiral want £500 for the Mini and £678 for the Audi. Gonna call them and see if I can get the price down.
I work in insurance so I know the game, there's always wiggle room.
If you work there you could have it for free n? :D

I work in commercial insurance, not motor so no discounts for me!

Just spoke to Admiral, very nice guy there managed to get the price down by £154 to just over a grand for both my cars, happy days