Turbo replacement

Peaky

Reaction score
Looks like my turbo is on its last legs. Is there anywhere in Bolton/Manchester that can replace. My car is a A4 1.9tdi 130 quattro AVF 54 plate. I was toying with the idea to fit myself as it's a bolt off bolt on, but I'm worried if I come into any problems. Is this a straight forward job I have had the egr off and cleaned checked all the pipes and all seems good. Any help appreciated.

It's very common for the turbo vanes to start sticking on VW/Audi TDI's so it's worth doing the Mr Muscle treatment before throwing a new turbo at it. A search of this forum or Google will reveal how to do it.

It's very common for the turbo vanes to start sticking on VW/Audi TDI's so it's worth doing the Mr Muscle treatment before throwing a new turbo at it. A search of this forum or Google will reveal how to do it.

Thanks for the reply. The vanes aren't stuck i can hear metal on metal sounds like the bearings gone.

New turbo needed then. If your ok with the spanners it's not a hard job to replace.

My main concern is priming the turbo properly with oil. Is there any how to guides about?

The turbo failed on my PD130 Golf a few years back and I used these videos on how to remove, strip and rebuild my turbo. I found them very helpful, I just watched them over and over and had them on hand when it come to strip down. I didn't strip the VNT side down as mine was moving freely and look quite clean. I did, however, make a cocktail of petrol and injector cleaner in a bucket and rested the HOT side of the turbo in that for a few days giving it a little agitation now and again to make sure it was 100% clean and moving freely.

I removed the crank sensor so that the car wouldn't start and cranked a few times to ensure oil had reached the turbo and then took a deep breath and fired her up. No leaks and you could feel the difference a new core made to the car. After 1000 miles of slow driving I was happy things were settled in and later that year I took it on a 1000 mile trip to the ring and back and happy to say the car is still going strong now

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I'm doing a similar thing between my Haines manual and online videos to build my own picture and shopping list needed.

Thanks for that. I'm doing a similar thing between my Haines manual and online videos to build my own picture and shopping list needed.
Melett supplied my new CHRA, £149 delivered not a difficult job.