Rs4 B7 timing chain

harley141213

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me what sort of mileage to expect to have this replaced and what sort of garage bill should I allow for?

im looking at B7 rs4’s but the majority that are in my budget have covered 90k-100k

thanks

From what I seen when I was going to buy one it’s around 100k mark but it Varys same as the 3.2 in my r32 100k is the recommended but some will be on 140k on original chains all down to how the car has been looked after as for replacement cost your talking complete engine out job the parts are a few hundred but labour is the killer be looking at a few grand one. The other thing to look at is the carbon build up on the intake is shocking can have it cleaned and the baffles taken out to help prevent it but it’s not something I’d want to do in case any fell in the engine, still will be getting one my self in a few months and selling the r32

Thanks for the reply.
Since this post is googled the same thing and think I’d read somewhere that the problem re chains had been resolved on the later engines? Which I’m unsure as I thought they were fitted to 06-07 rs4 cars.

re the carbon clean this seems a common problem and there are loads of cars listed for sale claiming to have undergone such a clean.
I have recently read a few articles where engines have been cleaned with a chemical process ( I think it was hydro clean) or something like that. After the clean there has been a temporary fix to the carbon build up in the manifold but more worrying it has turned what it has removed into a sludge type substance that has then gone on to block other pipes/ engine parts.
I’m of the understanding that the best method of carbon cleaning is removal of the manifold and then have it blasted with
crushed walnuts of all things?

I’m still reading and learning as I go while still looking for the ideal car

I think the garage I seen recommended removed the manifold and scraped/ hoovered it up making sure not fell into the engine and removed the baffles to air flow and prevent it happening as quick, don’t think it was a fix it might be different on the b8 model but from what I seen all timing chains should be done around the 100k, vag(probably other brands) say chains will last the life of the car which may be true but it’s the plastic guides/tensioners that wear and cause them to go slack, you can do a test with vcds and see if they are within limits or close to need changing but that’s only a guide and not absolute