A3 1.4 tfsi mpg problems

VAGorNothing

Reaction score
So I brought an a3 1.4 tfsi recently.

But I get really bad MPG. cold mornings is about 15 mpg. And on longer journeys just about touch 30mpg! Might aswell of brought a C63!

I put 30 pound of fuel in last night. Brought it up to 200 miles, went straight home (1 mile drive) started up this morning and stated only 150 miles in the tank! (Is that just due to predictions as cold engine is using more fuel)

Does it run OK ?
Check it gets up to temperature OK.
Read the coolant temp sensor with VCDS.

Forget what the ecu tells you on the dash. Fill the tank to first click of the fuel hose, note odometer miles and drive until nearly empty, refill again and note how many miles you’ve done and how many litres you put into the tank. You can then calculate the true mpg of the car.

Ok I will do that next time I fill up.

Everything's normal on VCDS. Runs and gets up to temp fine

I do mostly town driving and my long term average over the past 3 months is 29mpg. The range reading also drops quickly if I put my foot down.
£30 of petrol usually gives me about 150 miles.

thats absolutley dreadful!, wish i went for a 1.6 TDI now. my sister gets 200 - 250 out of a 30 quid tank on her 1.6 tdi Sport

It isn’t the best but stop/start town driving in the winter with heating etc on doesn’t help. In the summer I get about 35mpg.

yeah, ive also got a cam/ crank sensor correlation fault. tensioner might of failed, once i get that sorted i should be fine. BUT webuyanycar are offering me one thousand pounds more then i paid for the car. might just warm it up, sell it to them and get a more reliable 1.6 tdi....

any experience with webuyanycar and their inspection procedure?

On my 1.4 I get around 45 to 50 on the motorway on a run of about 170 miles going at a steady 70mph using cruise.

Around London I've seen 20mpg average at times, doing a week of short journeys. Longer drives around the 30 to 35mpg mark.

Most economical car I've owned. Last car did 30mpg on motorway, 15 in London

my brothers 2.0 tdi a4 does 55 mpg on the motorway, and 35 to 40 around town, cant compare diesels to petrol i guess though.