Dash Cam hard wire help

Daniel Church

Reaction score
I got a dash cam as a present for Christmas. It come with a wire harness that allows it to be hardwired into the car via the fuse box.
The three wires I got are
Red - Live 12v
Yellow - ACC
Black - Earth

I’m guessing to yellow wire connects to a circuit that runs the car’s accessories and the red wire is permanent live. please correct me if I’m wrong.

does anyone know what fuses in the car are 1) permanent live - red wire and 2) accessories fuse- yellow wire?

Thanks

Red & yellow if you want cam on 24/7 can be twisted together usually, but be aware of battery drain, check the current of the cam.

You need to grab a meter & check which spate fuses are ignition or permanent.

Use spare, not piggyback.

Hi Daniel,

What year is the car, who manufactures the hard wire kit, and does it have a piggy back fuse ??

I've got the Nextbase hard wire kit on mine and it only has a positive and negative wire, and as mentioned by NHN I assume you should be wiring it to a switched live fuse so it's not on permanently ??

Personally, I would run the wires down the nearside A pillar and to the fuse box located there where the dash is. Give me a shout if you need any help and I'll take some pics of which fuse you should be using ??

Check out this vid, it's more or less the same for the A4:

Last edited: