Help!! A4 2.0 TDi 140 B7 Rough Idle white smoke from exhaust

Gordon-R

Reaction score
Hi All and happy new year,

I wonder if someone may be able to help, my car is an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140 b7 2007

I was driving my car the other day and got stuck in some traffic, once I was able to move i put my foot down only to find the car went it to high revs and the only way I could stop this, is by turning the engine off.

I tried to start the car straight after and it felt like the battery was flat very sluggish.
So I let it cool down for 5 to 10 mins and tried again and it started straight away but with very rough idle and lots of white smoke from behind and from under the bonnet with a burning smell.

I crawled home which was only a mile away and left it for a few days, now when I start it up it runs rough idle with some white smoke from the exhaust with burning smell.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

Dpf cleaning itself ? Are you able to take it for a run at around 2k rpm for about 20 minutes ?

Could also be egr issue, might be worth taking it off and having a look at it

Hi mm707,

Thank you for your reply, I’m not sure if the DPFs is cleaning itself
I did remove the egr around 5 months ago and gave it a clean, that’s not to say it not happened again or gone faulty on me.

I am guilty of not doing long journeys with it, just short ones to work with is only 2 miles away all the time not helped I’m sure.

I can give it a run tomorrow and see how I get on, what’s the best gear to drive it in and will it be ok with the smelly smoke that’s coming out the back of the exhaust ?

The plastic cogs rounded off on my egr, this caused the dpf to block. Once the new egr was on and the codes cleared loads of smoke came out while the dpf cleaned itself. I was told to drive at about 2k revs about 50- 60 in 4th for about 20 minutes.
That was my situation , it may not be the same cause for you.
Mine can still rough idle and smoke when cold but when warm it runs fine.

Ok thanks will try that tomorrow, I’m not getting any smoke from under the bonnet anymore just smell of burning oil.

I did have the timing belt done by 3rd party garage and I wasn’t very happy with them saying they couldn’t change the tensioner as the one I supplied didn’t fit.

The car has only done 82000 miles and it does sometime go into limp mode when I do go down the motorway around 80 mph for a while

How long ago was the belt done?

I have little faith in non vag garages doing belts tbh.

I would check if the timings ok.