Wire in usb charging port

slowcoach3

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to charge my phone etc in the car so I'm toying with wiring in a dual port usb charger. Am I correct in thinking that I can just take a 12v switched live and ground from under the dash, put an inline fuse in, put the port wherever I'd like and it should all work fine? Wiring isn't my favourite
Cheers

I'd like to be able to charge my phone etc in the car so I'm toying with wiring in a dual port usb charger. Am I correct in thinking that I can just take a 12v switched live and ground from under the dash, put an inline fuse in, put the port wherever I'd like and it should all work fine? Wiring isn't my favourite
Cheers
It's always best to take an ignition based switched feed from the fuse box . perhaps with a piggy back carrier . Pick up the neutral locally by all means . I wouldn't recommend tapping into the positive side of the harness . Its 1 thing to have a cigarette lighter blow a fuse . It's another when your car wont start miles from home because you've been drawing to many volts through a cable that was barely man enough from the factory with fluctuating ampares . Secondly
You can pull a fuse in the fuse box if theres a fault ... you cant behind the dash . I've just done the same in mine as the factory cigarette lighter is a permanent live yet most USB are led lit. ( so no good ) I used a twin lighter extension and purchased two double flust mount usb adapters . You can choose the colours this way .
...red / blue ? Hope this helps