Which fuse for hardwiring dashcam?

xxbluedragonxx

Reaction score
Hi

I have an A3 late 2013 and am trying to hardwire a dashcam but not sure which fuse to spur off.

attached is photo of my glovebox fuse box.

I just need it going on and off with the ignition. Can I use any of the empty slots? Or does it need to be spur off existing fuse? Which one?

thanks!

Attachments

• 4D873E39-1F1D-4122-AAB2-04182BC79333.jpeg
    4D873E39-1F1D-4122-AAB2-04182BC79333.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 454
Hi

I have an A3 late 2013 and am trying to hardwire a dashcam but not sure which fuse to spur off.

attached is photo of my glovebox fuse box.

I just need it going on and off with the ignition. Can I use any of the empty slots? Or does it need to be spur off existing fuse? Which one?

thanks!
Do you want a switched live so its on with ignition or do you want a permanent live so it record 24/7 although u may need a power regulator so.it switches off when your car battery drops below a certain voltage to avoid flat batteries

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

And late 2013 is that 8p chassis or 8v

Switched live. I think it’s 8v actually. the rear window spoiler? retracting screen? My first Audi so not 100% sure

Switched live. I think it’s 8p, with the rear window spoiler? My first Audi so not 100% sure
Got a photo ? , if its switched live you want something like interior light fuse something in the 5-10 anp range your should have a key which will match up from your user manual

It would be inscribed on back of fuse cover

Pretty sure it’s an 8P hatchback now; it has smaller spoiler compared to the pics I’ve seen of 8V models

The fusebox is in the glove compartment.

not too sure as my fuse box is under a cover on RHS of the steering wheel need to have you door open to pop panel off

Connect it to the same fuse your rear wiper uses. Get a piggy-back fuse holder from ebay.

Hi

I earthed the camera to one of the two torx nuts to the side of the glove box and used a piggy back fuse spur on the rear windscreen wiper slot (the blue 15 in the bottom right corner)

Camera starts and stops with the ignition as I wanted, however, the rear wiper doesn’t work ☹️

I took out the fuse spur and put the 15a fuse back in directly and the wiper works ok so the fuse didn’t blow.

Do they need to be the same amp rating? The one that came with the hardwire kit has 3 on it?

Any ideas? Does it matter which way round the camera + original fuse sit in the piggy back spur?

Hi

I earthed the camera to one of the two torx nuts to the side of the glove box and used a piggy back fuse spur on the rear windscreen wiper slot (the blue 15 in the bottom right corner)

Camera starts and stops with the ignition as I wanted, however, the rear wiper doesn’t work

I took out the fuse spur and put the 15a fuse back in directly and the wiper works ok so the fuse didn’t blow.

Do they need to be the same amp rating? The one that came with the hardwire kit has 3 on it?

Any ideas? Does it matter which way round the camera + original fuse sit in the piggy back spur?
3a fuse is for the piggy back side (camera) you and ur normal fuse should sit directly above try a different fuse i guess ill take a photo of mine if you want ?

3a fuse is for the piggy back side (camera) you and ur normal fuse should sit directly above try a different fuse i guess ill take a photo of mine if you want ?

photo would be helpful i put the 3a camera fuse in the piggyback where the camera power wire comes out. Wiper fuse in the other hole.

does it matter if the piggyback is upside down?

photo would be helpful i put the 3a camera fuse in the piggyback where the camera power wire comes out. Wiper fuse in the other hole.

does it matter if the piggyback is upside down?
Not sure what you mean by upside down
73a180c172d09b5e7f4bb7f501214fe4.jpg

Ok thanks that did the trick!

Rear wiper fuse in the piggyback socket nearest the prongs. Camera fuse furthest from the piggyback prongs.

Plugged it in with the camera wire other side this time (rotated 180 degrees as I originally plugged it in “upside down”)

Camera now works with ignition switch and rear wiper working again!

Also apparently it’s an 8V lol

Thanks all!

Ok thanks that did the trick!

Rear wiper fuse in the piggyback socket nearest the prongs. Camera fuse furthest from the piggyback prongs.

Plugged it in with the camera wire other side this time (rotated 180 degrees as I originally plugged it in “upside down”)

Camera now works with ignition switch and rear wiper working again!

Also apparently it’s an 8V lol

Thanks all!
Thought so enjoy bud happy to help :)

Hmmn , switched live , how are you going to record the supermarket etc car park shenanigans ?

Most frequent % of damage and if dry the most superior low speed footage and likelihood of recording a Reginald and even a **** if they get out to inspect the damage !

Hmmn , switched live , how are you going to record the supermarket etc car park shenanigans ?

Most frequent % of damage and if dry the most superior low speed footage and likelihood of recording a Reginald and even a **** if they get out to inspect the damage !

sounds like you could do with a 1hr timer which is triggered by ignition voltage so you have an hour to shop.

I could easily design an add on which wouldn’t have any power drain issues when the set time has exceeded.

Last edited:
10 / 10 .

There are dashcams very successfully markeketed and then there's the ones in the shadows for less money that do MORE !!

I have a BlackVue.any insights on how to have it record permanently but not drain the car battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah , lol .

Screenshot 2018 01 04 18 54 30

If woken up with a G Shock , and records for the set time period and then goes to sleep .

So handy for the shops as it won't stop recording , initial parking mode is 15 minutes of ordinary footage then the option of being compressed to save memory space there after .
Best with ordinary me thinks as you also get sound.

I've left it continuously record for 3 days once without a starting issue .