TT gearknob!

joshW

Reaction score
Last week i bought a tt 5speed gearknob presuming it would be a similar fitment to mine, only when i received it, i cant really see how i can fit it. it seems to have a thread in it rather than just slotting over.

I was just wondering if and how it is possible to fit this to my car and if not which vehicles have the same fitment when i come to getting another one?

cheers,
josh

so where's this picture of a TT knob then? A few knobs in TT's have driven past me but never got a pic?!?!

havent got a pic of it and TBH if you dont know how a TT gearknob fits then a pic aint gonna help is it.
But thank you for the very funny reply it was very helpful!!

You've answered your own question, if its threaded it screws on, shame A3/S3's have a different fitment! Is the thread small enough to be drilled out leaving you with a snug push fit? Sorry I can't help anymore but I never took mine off so I'm not exactly syre how it fits on a S3.
As already said post some pics of both the TT gear knob and your gear stick with the knob removed and I'm sure we'll be able to suss it out between us. :icon_thumright:

cheers, i havent got the facilities to get any pics up unfortunately, and as it seems no1 else has fitted one i think ill stick it back on the bay and find a nice s3 one instead.

thanks anyway,
josh

ah really? is there a special machine to do this? and would it set me back much to get one?
thanks,
josh

In theory all you need is a tap & die set, a tap cuts a thread into a hole and a die cuts a thread onto a bar. To do this properly the bar will have to be the right diameter for the thread to be cut onto it.
Where abouts are you? I've got a tool chest full of stuff like this from my toolmaking and precision engineering days, I could do it for you in about 2 minutes if the gear stick is the right diameter. Failing that places like Machine Mart and Screwfix will sell tap and die sets, £40 tops will get you a good set thats full of taps, dies, tap wrenches and die handles. :icon_thumright:

thanks a lot, im in south wales so a bit far from you but thanks for the offer!

There see, i knew id get an answer out of you lot!

thanks for all the help will investigate more tomorrow.
josh