PD injector clamp bolt torque

Rid

Reaction score
Hi I just replaced the seals on the injectors on my 2.0Tdi 16V 170, engine code BRD. The Audi manual says the new bolts are tightened to only 3Nm before a 90 degree then a 180 degree final set. This seemed a very low torque setting to me and the bolts did not “feel” tight even after the angle setting. As usual the manual lists the tools required & I noticed the torque wrench they recommend had a range of 5 to 50Nm.
Could this 3Nm be a misprint?
I’ve had a search around and keep finding the 3Nm figure.
I had noticed that these bolt took little torque to loosen and that 2 of the injectors had wear marks above the seals which looked like they had been moving. I understand these bolts are meant to stretch, but surely to tighten not in use...
Any comments would be appreciated.

Had a quick look on ElsaWin and it does indeed say 3Nm . This is the info the dealers use .
These bolts should always be replaced as they are the most likely to break if reused. It wouldn't make much difference if you tightened the bolt to 3 or 5Nm before you applied the two angle rotations, I bet there would be only a few extra degrees of tightening going from 3 to 5 Nm. The 1/4 inch torque wrench I have has a minimum setting of 5Nm.
The torque wrench suggested to be used is VAG-1331 5-50nM.

https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemid=23430183

Upload 2020 2 26 15 0 40

That’s the same manual I have.
I have a torque screwdriver for those tiny figures.
I guess even 30Nm is not very tight so I wondered if the 0 had got omitted somehow.
Thanks

30Nm is very tight for an M6 bolt, Typically the maximum you would torque an M6 to is 15-20Nm tops. When I changed the injectors over on my 1.9PD engine I bought new bolts for the injector clamps and measured new against old and there was a noticeable lengthening of the bolt. Thats the reason I own a 1/4 inch torque wrench I bought it to do the injector clamp bolts.

I did use the 3Nm & 90 & 180 turns on new bolts.
Thanks.