Vcds bexley

kaybee

Reaction score
Can anyone assist me? my numberplate lights have gone off while switching bulbs and won'turn back on, i'm told would need to clear error via vcd to re-activate.
Drinks waitng:)

Last edited:
Can anyone assist me? my numberplate lights have gone off while switching bulbs and won'turn back on, i'm told would need to clear error via vcd to re-activate.
Drinks waitng:)

I have vcds and based in Paddock Wood.

But, that doesn’t seem right. Usually once a new bulb is fitted it should just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s far more likely that the contacts just need bending outwards a bit. Unless you are swapping for LED ones which is a whole other world of pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check you put the lights in the right way round, although they might not be labelled, there is a L and a R bulb.
Take the bulbs out and look at where the contacts will touch when you put the bulb back, might find it easier to open the boot and do it so you can see better (use a torch even in daylight)

Thanks all disconnected the battery for 10mins and they are back working again.

Reactions: Bryant1998
If you changed to led bulbs you’ll need a cancelling loom or the bulb warning will show up again.

You can also get somebody with VCDS to code your A3 to work with LED plates.

MJ 2003 till 2010
[09-Cent. electrics]
[Coding-07]
[Longcoding helper]
Byte 18

Bit 0 = License Plate Lights
Bit 1 = Brake Lights
Bit 2 = Fog Lights (front)
Bit 3 = Fog Lights (rear)
Bit 4 = High Beam
Bit 5 = Turn Signals
Bit 6 = Backup Light
Bit 7 = Side Turn Signals

lys.png

MJ2010 till 2012
[09-Cent. electrics]
[Coding-07]
[Longcoding helper]
Byte 17
Enable bit 7

lys2.jpg

Yes, recoded as above or loom from EM Tuning, details on ‘site sponsors’ part of this forum.

I haven't had to code my LED number plates on my 2006 S3, so you may not need to do it.
It's all the other bulbs that give issues when replaced with LED's, the canbus system always detects them and flags up errors.