2002 A4 cabriolet roof issue ! Please help

Alex wiggall

Reaction score
Hi all I have just purchased a 52 plate A4 cabriolet sport 2.4 v6.

Everything is good apart from the roof!

I purchased the car needing a alternator and the seller said the roof worked until the alternator failed. So I changed the alternator and done the " manual reset " several times.

Still with no luck the issue I have is all 4 windows go down half way and that is it with the dash light flashing 10 times .

On further inspection and playing around i managed to get the motor/pump to kick and the roof went down half way and back up again. I have a signal from switch and power to the pump. It doesn't seem to want to unlatch from the front when I manged to get it to move it was already unlatched.

I have checked all fuses ect....

Any help would he muchly appreciated thank you

I think all the windows need to be down when you do the manual reset using the key in the glove box. If it's still not playing ball I'd see about getting the car hooked up to vagcom and seeing what codes are logged.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Whats the key in the glovebox thing?

Usually this is down to the roof mechanism being out of sync, or the roof controller having a fault stored. Using VCDS to clear faults, or manually opening and closing the roof sorts it. If the roof light is flashing on the dash, you need to clear the fault

Whats the key in the glovebox thing?

Usually this is down to the roof mechanism being out of sync, or the roof controller having a fault stored. Using VCDS to clear faults, or manually opening and closing the roof sorts it. If the roof light is flashing on the dash, you need to clear the fault
The red "key" is stored behind the fuse panel, used to manually open or close the roof.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yep, mine can be glitchy too. First thing is, with mine at least, is do not put the roof up or down without the car running, as sometimes the voltage from the battery is just not enough to run the roof motors and throws a fault, especially if on a slight incline. You have to do the manual reset at least 2 or 3 times full cycle. It's a pain and that roof is frickin' heavy! If that doesn't fix it, manually open and shut the latches a couple of times. It will eventually sort itself out and recognise what stage it's at and resume. Resetting faults doesn't seem to have any effect with mine. I think it just likes the attention!

The usul suspect is the microswitch on the boot, the one that determones if the stowage box is ready or not.

I had similar issues. After finally obtaining the fault codes, the micro switch F294 showed a fault.
This one is located next to the latch motor/actuator at the front end inside the soft top. Took out the motor.
Turned out the motor/ actuator that unlatches the roof (v223) had some loose bolts which made its gearbox slip.
Tightened them, did the manual reset and now it works again.

key is to get a read-out of the fault codes first.