Key off flea-bay. Useless!!!

gaz j

Reaction score
:motz:Word of warning to you fellow Audi owners who are considering buying a key off Fleabay to save money off the stealers price of £160+vat, DON'T BOTHER!!! Got the key for £35. Came within 3 days, brand new with blank blade 8zo model 3 button as stated in model description when i bid on it. What it also said was compatible with all Audi models. It cost me £10 to get blade cut off independant locksmith who tried to program key but could'nt. Went to warrington Audi who then charged me £55 and still could'nt program my key. They informed the bottom 3 button bit of the key which controls the central locking is correct but the top part of key (blade end) which has immobiliser chip in it must be off another Audi model. Apparently it is pot luck when you by these keys second hand as the stalk end does'nt have ser.no. So it has cost me a total of £100 and all i've got is a key which will open my car but won't start it! Has anyone else experienced this and got round it? Any help much Appreciated. Thanx in advance:icon_thumright:

There are quite a few posts on this knocking about this forum. The general idea is dont bother getting replacement keys off ebay, just go to the dealer and max out the creddy card!

Another thing, don't try start the car too many times with it. The car recognises that a duff key is being used and the immobiliser locks down, requiring a flatbed to the dealers to have it reprogrammed.

Your car has a 'rolling code' type immob capsule in the key part of the remote.

You can not clone this type of immob capsule/chip.

It needs to be taken to the audi dealer, sometimes even if you have vagcom & your SKC.

If you are replacing a worn key you can swap over the capsule to your new remote.

The Audi dealer should have been able to make the new key work, no prob's?

Aye, I have a new key off ebay, had to make sure part number for the blade part was the same and got remote working myself with Vag-Com. Have to get immob chip programmed at dealer next week.. Ill update ye to let ye know how i got on. :yes:

If you want to save some money try Hickley Valtone,ask them to reccomend a good auto locksmith in your area.JG is right in a sense,there are too many variables to buy something from flea bay.Gaz might teach some a lesson but its not his fault,do you know what type of transponder chip is in your key? Happily Audi are not the worst and a good auto guy should sort you out:salute:

Well, just to update,
I got my key programmed to the immobiliser yesterday and it is working perfect. The issue is that you have to get a key blade with the same part number as the original one that is working. There are a few different part numbers but the keys all look the same. Rather than totally avoiding e-bay I would say just make sure the part number is the same on the blade section. You can see it when you slit the key into its' two parts. Generally the remote parts are all the same. :o.k: