Front damper stuck in hub

Smig

Reaction score
Tried to remove the front dampers to fit lowering springs. I undid the droplink, removed the strut clamping nut and bolt, spragged open the clamp, but could not remove the damper. I presume it must be rusted in. Sprayed loads of WD4o and worked it for hours. Any tips on how to free the damper from the housing?
Cheers

What are you using to open the hub, I use the proper vw/audi tool and it's never failed, comes out really easy every time tbh

I initially used a large pry bar which I could see open up the gap. I then used the square drive from a 1/4" socket wrench and rotated the drive, this opened it further. I think there is some rust where the bottom of the damper bottoms out on the housing as there was zero gap or movement, despite be using 'percussive' techniques (ie whacking it lol).

What are you using to open the hub, I use the proper vw/audi tool and it's never failed, comes out really easy every time tbh

I initially used a large pry bar which I could see open up the gap. I then used the square drive from a 1/4" socket wrench and rotated the drive, this opened it further. I think there is some rust where the bottom of the damper bottoms out on the housing as there was zero gap or movement, despite be using 'percussive' techniques (ie whacking it lol).
It may not be quite enough.
I remember the first time I ever did it, I didnt have the tool and it was an absolute pig trying to wedge it open and smacking it with a hammer lol.
Bought the tool and its night and day different for such a simple device.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

It may not be quite enough.
I remember the first time I ever did it, I didnt have the tool and it was an absolute pig trying to wedge it open and smacking it with a hammer lol.
Bought the tool and its night and day different for such a simple device.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Do you have a pic and part number for the special tool?
Cheers

33B37320 43C1 4ACE 8669 118835F2B355

I believe this is the tool that you need mate, looking to get one to for the caddy

Reactions: KenL
its sometimes easier just to remove the whole hub and strut together. IIRC the passenger side wishbone doesnt come down far enough due to the driveshaft for the strut to clear the hub

its sometimes easier just to remove the whole hub and strut together. IIRC the passenger side wishbone doesnt come down far enough due to the driveshaft for the strut to clear the hub
It does come out ok but it is tighter due to the different driveshaft lengths, just be careful the driveshaft doesnt pop out. It will pop back in but it does get a little nervy!

Last edited:
The 1/4 drive should open it enough. If you have access to or can hire the fancy rail type spring compressers these will help to remove the strut some even have to remove the drive shaft bolts on the g box but make sure the bolts are correctly torque afterwards.

make sure your not placing the 1/4 drive above the 'tab' on rear of the shocky. the tab will foul on the ratchet and wont allow it to slide out. as mentioned above i found it easier removing hub with it and disconnect the drive shaft. if its s3 spings ur ok but if its sport or sline ul strugle to get it out due to drive shaft. my inner cv joinet popped out and i had to replace it. doh