Lock Guru'S

ch1z64

C'mon you's bhoy's in Green
VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Only one off my keys will lock / unlock door when inserted in door lock but both lock / unlock on key fob . Both work fine in ignition ( start car ) people have mentioned door acutator or micro switch but what goes over my head is if one key opens mechanism in door why wouldn't the other or are they are indepent off each other . Any advice appreciated

That is strange as both work the ignition. There must be too much tolerance in the door lock mechanism. Have you tried a little squirt of WD40 Into the lock and onto the key? I don't think it will be the micro switch as the key is a mechanical turning device, if everything lines up it will turn.

That is strange as both work the ignition. There must be too much tolerance in the door lock mechanism. Have you tried a little squirt of WD40 Into the lock and onto the key? I don't think it will be the micro switch as the key is a mechanical turning device, if everything lines up it will turn.
Will put key that diesn't turn into lock and squirt aome WD in and see what happens, the other strange thing is when i researched how ti recode key i noticed in the value i had 5 and when i cleared that put 2 in and tested it accepted but when i rescanned it and went back into look how many keys expecting to find 2 i had value 5 there again

Swap the key batteries around to prove they are ok and not causing the problem.

I don't think i've put a key in the door lock on any of my cars since early 2000's, i have no idea if they key works in the locks on my S3.
I remember buying a Leon Cupra R in 2006 and doing the 'lock removal' mod at the time, that's how little I used it :tearsofjoy:

I don't think i've put a key in the door lock on any of my cars since early 2000's, i have no idea if they key works in the locks on my S3.
I remember buying a Leon Cupra R in 2006 and doing the 'lock removal' mod at the time, that's how little I used it :tearsofjoy:
Yes I remember all the “clever” ones on Mk4 forums doing that and then saying they can’t get in the car for one reason or another, made me

Yes I remember all the “clever” ones on Mk4 forums doing that and then saying they can’t get in the car for one reason or another, made me
The trick was to relocate the fuse into the drop down tray near the steering wheel. You don't want a blown fuse and have no access to the fuse box, that would be silly.

I will take a video tomorrow so you lads can see it in motion

It's not a battery issue, it's mechanical in so much 2 moving parts aren't marrying.

Strange as barrels are matched to the doors & turns ignition.

Delete the allocation of 5, then re-add 2 from scratch, that's one issue should be resolved.

Unlocking with the key seems very bizarre, but the ignition barrel will have more tolerance given its used allot whereas if it's a newer blade on that key in the door that's hardly ever used, then if we also consider the keys allocated as 5, I would hypothesise it's just this, that it's a newer blade with a slight difference in cut that's if the door lock isn't turning in the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daveyonthemove
It's not a battery issue, it's mechanical in so much 2 moving parts aren't marrying.

Strange as barrels are matched to the doors & turns ignition.

Delete the allocation of 5, then re-add 2 from scratch, that's one issue should be resolved.

Unlocking with the key seems very bizarre, but the ignition barrel will have more tolerance given its used allot whereas if it's a newer blade on that key in the door that's hardly ever used, then if we also consider the keys allocated as 5, I would hypothesise it's just this, that it's a newer blade with a slight difference in cut that's if the door lock isn't turning in the door.
Firstly thanks for your adivce Nigel , i have tried getting car to learn 2 keys but when i do ( maybe i am doing it incorrectly ) it keeps coming back as 5 why i havent a clue as cable is genuine.

Just an update on this key problem , firstly i like to thank @prt57 & @NHN as both mentioned it being mechanical and @NHN was correct about usage.
Now i turned the key that never locked or unlocked the door upside down ( check pics out) and for some bizzare reason it worked , now what i have sussed is because this key isn't used much it hasn' worn down as much as the other key ie not put in either ignition barrel or lock . You get a better idea from pics the bottom 2 are off the key that didn't work normal way up & the 1st to are off the key that worked fine see the difference in both sides off the key in pics ( bottom ) hope i kinda explained it ok . Now just need to use the other key more oftrn yo ware down the front

Attachments

• 20200408_164414_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    20200408_164414_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200408_164503_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    20200408_164503_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200408_164533_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    20200408_164533_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200408_164541_copy_1440x1920.jpg
    20200408_164541_copy_1440x1920.jpg