ASN Oil Level

stevey83

Reaction score
Ive recently done an oil change, and sump removal and pickup check on my 3.0 v6, but now im running into a problem. This car had an oil level senosr fault when i bought it, so replaced it with a new one, which cleared the sensor fault on the DIS, but now im getting the yellow low oil message.

My understanding is this engine holds 6.2 litres of oil, which i have put it, but cannot get the oil to show on the dipstick. I even added another 500ml but still nothing. I dont want to overfill, If i have to ill remove the sump again and check the dipstick is fully going in.

Have i put the right amount in?

3 different sites online say ASN is 6.3 litres so it's had 400ml more than that.

Is this petrol or diesel engine as the diesel is over 8l of oil.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Are you sure of the amount you put in?If the dipstick is right down in the holder then it and the sensor are saying its low.Have you run the engine to see if it makes a difference?Maybe drain the oil and check how much comes out.

I also have ASN and previously had random oil low message on DIS, I also changed the sensor (£5 china job) fixed the fault. Usually came on after about 30 miles open bonnet close bonnet and would go away and then randomly come back on.

when I had a sensor fault it didnt come up on the DIS saying sensor just low oil All the time. If you know you have the correct amount of oil then it has got to be the sensor, unless you are misreading it and it is actually saying low pressure which I have had also. This was caused by a crappy oil filter and went away as soon as I changed it.

Thanks for the reply.
i have changed the sensor with a cheap ebay one, which im sure is the fault, the original sensor was giving me a sensor fault on the DIS all the time. I used to have the oil pressrue fault but again that was a new sensor job and it went away.

Does VCDS say anything as I dont think mine did as it thought it was genuinely short of oil

Worth a punt on another cheap sensor, mine has been ok for 2 1/2 years now

Nothing to read in VCDS really, you can check oil level under instruments but the reading means nothing to me! I think another sensor would cure it.