Steering Wheel Problem

Mathias Johansson

Reaction score
Hi. A while ago I retrofitted a flat bottom steering on my A4 B8 2009.

everything worked, no need to code or anything.

and today I bought one with shift paddles, but the buttons are with navigation i think.

Now i am getting fault code 01426, and no controls or paddles work on the steering.

Airbag and horn is ok. Any ideas?

Can it be the buttons are broken on the new wheel, and if so, Can i take my old ones, but will i loose paddle shift then?

Sounds like you bought the wrong wheel with a different linbus which basically controls button etc comms from the wheel, put up a pic of both old & new wheels so we can see.

Hi. A while ago I retrofitted a flat bottom steering on my A4 B8 2009.

everything worked, no need to code or anything.

and today I bought one with shift paddles, but the buttons are with navigation i think.

Now i am getting fault code 01426, and no controls or paddles work on the steering.

Airbag and horn is ok. Any ideas?

Can it be the buttons are broken on the new wheel, and if so, Can i take my old ones, but will i loose paddle shift then?

The steering wheel with shift paddles needs coding, but if I remember right A4 B8 2009 will not work with shift paddles - check the plug if you have same wires on both (steering wheel plug vs. car plug).
The initial simple flat bottom steering wheel should work perfectly if you fit it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's incorrect, the paddles don't need adapting so to speak, it would require coding, but the b8 supports them.

Now if he bought a compatible wheel from another chassis, it may require wiring changes within the yellow plug, but I suspect he's bought the later version that isn't supported on his cars linbus, the button array is the pointer here, hence pics required.

That's incorrect, the paddles don't need adapting so to speak, it would require coding, but the b8 supports them.

Now if he bought a compatible wheel from another chassis, it may require wiring changes within the yellow plug, but I suspect he's bought the later version that isn't supported on his cars linbus, the button array is the pointer here, hence pics required.

My bad, I meant coding since adaptation it’s easier than coding , I’ve corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk