Back to the 5cyl gang

D0C

Reaction score
After nearly a year without that glorious 5cyl engine in my life, I took the plunge and got myself a 2018 (pre OPF!) TTRS.

After owning a PFL RS3 and TTRS I tried out a 991.2 C4S. Lovely car, but interior felt a major step back and the engine, while effective, just never sounded anywhere near as good as the Audi five pot.

I got offered great money for the porker a few months back and have had to make do with a 100hp diesel Golf. It has zero throttle response and zero go. So getting back into the TT today it feels like it has a 1000hp!

It’s been a bit of a saga because of coronavirus but we finally managed to sort it all out after jumping through a myriad of health and safety hoops. It’s low mileage but the paintwork is shocking on it. One of the issues was the fact it couldn’t be properly detailed, but I’ll get my own man to sort it all out the the Audi dealer has said they’ll help it all through.

I wanted a black with black pack car and so choice was obviously limited and as a result while a good spec on the outside, otherwise it’s a pretty basic spec. Sports exhaust was clearly a must have.

Once the lockdown is over it’ll be off to MRC for a remap and intercooler and maybe I’ll go stage 2. I’d previously used Revo on my last one which was great but I just fancy seeing what MRC can do. This is very much a second car now so am willing to try out a bit more with it.

I appreciate this is the RS3 page but I’m an RS3 man at heart and there’s more useful posts on here. Apologies also for the terrible pics. As I said, it needs a very good detail!

Attachments

• 59DDF546-D84D-496C-AAE3-883D0A1EB07A.jpeg
    59DDF546-D84D-496C-AAE3-883D0A1EB07A.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 240
  • B2562D0B-4895-4231-A13C-B5E5782AC855.jpeg
    B2562D0B-4895-4231-A13C-B5E5782AC855.jpeg
    920.3 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: 8YARWY, Goubo1, DW81 and 10 others
Very nice, love the black on black. How do these handle compared to the pfl rs3 im guessing these are next level?

Im thinking of a remap myself for the rs3 but unsure what way to go, what was your revo map like on your rs3?

Very nice, love the black on black. How do these handle compared to the pfl rs3 im guessing these are next level?

Im thinking of a remap myself for the rs3 but unsure what way to go, what was your revo map like on your rs3?
The PFL handled ok but it definitely had more of a muscle car feel to it’s handling. The Golf R I had beforehand handled better. But the RS3 was miles ahead in terms of drama.

FL RS3 and to a greater extent the TT handle better, no doubt about it. I love both. But the TTRS is the same money as the RS3 and as I don’t really need rear seats it’s a no brainer for me.

I had MRC map my PFL. It was brutal! Then I had Revo do the TT. It was a smoother, less dramatic map but very effective. I’d like to see what MRC can do on the FL engine now.

Reactions: NevMan and CarterRS
Was your mcr map stage one? My misses drives the car aswell so it still needs to be fairly easy to drive around town. Isit only when you give it some you notice the difference? Did you have the gearbox mapped aswell?

Was your mcr map stage one? My misses drives the car aswell so it still needs to be fairly easy to drive around town. Isit only when you give it some you notice the difference? Did you have the gearbox mapped aswell?
Throttle response is electric with a map. But otherwise it drives like stock unless going for it.

Welcome back @D0C. The TTRS is a very smart machine. Look forward to a few pics once you get it detailed :yes:.

Reactions: D0C
That's really surprising, as the option of a 991.2 C4S was something that I probably pursued over the TTRS at the time I went for it. But it simply wasn't going to happen, 991 C2S maybe on the same budget...

You got the right colour, just be careful - the front end gets messed up pretty easily - if you further than corrective work and plan to keep it for a while I would thoroughly recommend getting the front end and lower sills PPF'd. I had a wake up call recently, with one sill replaced following an accident, and after some enthusiastic driving on rather poor surfaces I had some serious paint chipping. It has now been resprayed again and is parked with a detailer for a couple more weeks for paint to cure prior to PPF being put on again... I wish I had gotten photo's, but 17k with PPF on the sill on side vs 700 miles without on the other was about the best sale pitch for you could ever have.

I expect you will be impressed with what MRC can do with it. I didn't go that route myself but have made some comparisons between my car and MRC stage 2, and they are very close. At stage 1 the car still drives with an OEM smoothness, the gearbox map is improved, stage 1 for me felt like amped up OEM but stage 2 unleashes the beast within.

Reactions: D0C
The 5 pot is just too addictive isn’t it haha!
To me it’s as good as an AMG V8 but more distinctive. Miles ahead of the awful sounding BMW 6 cylinder turbo M cars.

It’s a quick think but for cars currently on sale only engines in something like the R8 V10, Porsche GT3 and Ferrari’s are better.

Reactions: Naylor92
To me it’s as good as an AMG V8 but more distinctive. Miles ahead of the awful sounding BMW 6 cylinder turbo M cars.

It’s a quick think but for cars currently on sale only engines in something like the R8 V10, Porsche GT3 and Ferrari’s are better.
You literally turn into a fanboy once you’re mesmerised by hearing one for the first time! It is very distinctive! I know I’m not a fan either and I’m not being biased at all. I hate the tinny, raspy sound from the beemers.

You really feel that strongly about the sound then haha! I definitely know where you’re coming from but for me the best sounding car on the road full stop has to be the new V10 R8. Absolutely perfect!

Reactions: Ross_T_Boss
As an R8 V10 owner i can confirm a double five pot sounds fantastic particularly with an oe sports exhaust :) Whatever the map, whatever the software nothing imo comes close to its naturally aspirated magnificence..........grunty off beat sounding low to mid range yet absolute race car scream at the top end approaching 9k revs.

For me when considering options
- the Porsche was disappointing as an overall 'experience', engine sounded disappointing but never actually been that big a fan
- the AMG was impressive and sounded 'dirty' but still had a wee bit of lag, wasn't a fan of the interior and again for me lacked the giggle when you started/drove it

Last edited:
Reactions: Ross_T_Boss, DW81 and D0C