£2500 to spend on engine

nick-barnes07

Reaction score
looking to spend some cash on my engine , looking to get as much bhp as i can for that sort of money , i wanna get shot of the k04 as i think it is very restrictive once you have had a map put on the car , there isnt that much more to do apart from manifold , to get some extra bhp out of a k04 , whats the best bits for that sort of money , i already have , h&r anti roll bars , 3" downpipe , de cat , miltek back box , koni sport suspension and springs , forge tip , upper lower boost hoses , short shift , 4 bar , i could stretch to 3000 , dont want to spend £4000 on ihi conversions though , as 50 - 60 bhp more than i got now doesnt seem a lot for £4000 ,

the K04 is not restrictive its just smaller than a bigger turbo = more power

well u can get max of 280 - 290 out of a k04 , i want a little more than that ,

www.atpturbo.com

Look at an eliminator, £2500 gets you a lot of ATP and a reasonable amount of horsepower..

$2000 gets you 400Bhp, so thats £1000 approx given exchange rate and enough money left over for manifold, injectors, fuel pumps, and remaps.

triple_threat_home.jpg

I wonder what would happen................

Dave_Bayern said:
www.atpturbo.com

Look at an eliminator, £2500 gets you a lot of ATP and a reasonable amount of horsepower..

$2000 gets you 400Bhp, so thats £1000 approx given exchange rate and enough money left over for manifold, injectors, fuel pumps, and remaps.

isnt there a lot more stuff to get than that , downpipe , and loads of other things like forged rods

I would perhaps look at a K04 hybrid (so all lines and DP etc remain stock) with an equal length manifold. These are 'supposed' to be good for 310-320 with little or no increased lag.

nick-barnes07 said:
isnt there a lot more stuff to get than that , downpipe , and loads of other things like forged rods

Depends what engine code you have, but yeah, theres more stuff, hence the £1500 left over after the turbo purchase, and you'd be buying mostly from the USA and bringing them in as 'engineering samples' then fitting them yourself if you're anything like me, so itt'd work out cheap enough.

However, I think stewarts idea is a sound one, decent price, reasonable performance, and can be done by a mechanic for you within your budget.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40010

look here.

don't need £4k for solid numbers and will people stop saying you only get 270 from a K04......

equal length mani, decent FMIC upgrade, Ko4, GT28x, IHI, lots of options.
depends on what work you can do or are willing to do yourself.

how handy are you with a spanner?

jcb said:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40010

look here.

don't need £4k for solid numbers and will people stop saying you only get 270 from a K04......

equal length mani, decent FMIC upgrade, Ko4, GT28x, IHI, lots of options.
depends on what work you can do or are willing to do yourself.

how handy are you with a spanner?

yeah i have seen that , okay with a spanner , my mate does a lot of work for me so i will just get him to do most of it , might go k04 hybrid , at least i can keep my old bits , and buy a equal length

Dave_Bayern said:
Changing the manifold requires a trained ferret.....
or a small japanese man thats what i've found from working on unmentionable jap cars thats why the japanese are such tiny little people!
how much are the equal length manifolds etc? i've heard turbo is quite easy to change but the manifold must be a bitch afterall look at the space!!

not that tricky, decent can of wd40, some good sockets and extensions......and a grinder!

sitrials said:
i've heard turbo is quite easy to change but the manifold must be a bitch afterall look at the space!!

Bwahahahahahahha.

No. Its hard.

Says I, whos turbo is still 'half' in after a failed attempt at refitting.

It would be easy if it wasnt for the top mount oil and coolant lines, which are hidden beneath the manifold.

I currently am buying a weeks train ticket as I attempted to change my turbo this weekend...