Help Please Audi A4 B8 S-Line Black Edition Nav 2015 2.0TDI HEADLIGHT WASHER ISSUE HELP!

AndreBerty

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m throwing this out there as I couldn’t find anything in the web and hope someone else had the same issue.

Driver side headlight washer was leaking so I bought a brand new original one from Audi (made by Continental) replaced and it was leaking through the head, replaced with Audi again same thing so I return it, refunded, and blocked mine with superglue to see if it’s from something else and surprise surprise the leaking stopped - I think it still leaking a bit through the other one now but haven’t checked yet, but I know I don’t get the warning light in the dashboard for windscreen liquid every day after I top it up

Please check the pics and the video and if everyone knows a reason why is happening or know any solution for this please let me know.

At this point I’m considering to visit Audi Reding as they fix this in the past for the previous owner under warranty.

Adjustments

Adjustments

Adjustments

PS: anyone knows the best way to upload a video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given they work on pressure fed from a pump, this is residual water leftover from use or water dripping from above as they're not constantly fed only when the pumps running, so I can't see how it has constant dripping unless the pump seals are faulty.

Given they work on pressure fed from a pump, this is residual water leftover from use or water dripping from above as they're not constantly fed only when the pumps running, so I can't see how it has constant dripping unless the pump seals are faulty.

Yes, they work on pressure fed by the screen washer water pump (or whatever), but don’t start unless headlight are on, so yes, they are not fed constantly but I use quite often the windshield springs and wipers
And it’s not dripping is more like leaking (check last pic) literally from the 2 holes through which water is sprinkled on the headlights.
Can the pump seals be changed without changing the pump?
Is it difficult job as a DIY?

I have checked and I don’t lose windscreen washing liquid and it doesn’t drip or anything from the passenger spring so it’s not the pump seals as NHN unless they are individual connected which are not as I checked the Audi schema.
Any other suggestions on what could it be?

Yes, they work on pressure fed by the screen washer water pump (or whatever), but don’t start unless headlight are on, so yes, they are not fed constantly but I use quite often the windshield springs and wipers
And it’s not dripping is more like leaking (check last pic) literally from the 2 holes through which water is sprinkled on the headlights.
Can the pump seals be changed without changing the pump?
Is it difficult job as a DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT]

No, they don't get pressure from the windscreen washer pump, they have their own high pressure/high volume pump which gets run for a fixed short period which is enough to drive the washers up and spray water, then the pump stops and the washers get pulled back down by their return springs.

These headlight washer pumps, in my limited experience, are sealed units, if they are passing water when not powered then it needs replacing, my previous car, a VW Passat needed a new pump as it had rusted up and split its casing and seized. It will cost over £100 I'd think for a new pump from VW Group, I can't say how good aftermarket ones are if they are available.

I bought one from Audi (about £68) and replaced it and it was dripping like hell. Then replaced with another one and same result. Blocked mine with superglue and voila no dripping, no more loosing screen wash.

When I checked on the scheme with the guy from parts at Audi there was no other pump than the main one and somehow the hole system tells when the headlight are on and activates the headlight washers - the driver side only comes out but obviously doesn’t splash anymore as as I said it’s blocked now.

So... ?!
giphy.gif

@AndreBerty, yes there is only one pump in the headlight washer system, but it is a high pressure/high volume pump and not the same as the far cheaper and smaller windscreen washer pump.

That pump is controlled in a way that only activates it after every some many operations of the windscreen washers AND with the headlights switched on, if it did not get controlled like this it would quickly empty the fluid reservoir.

I'm just trying to explain exactly how these headlight washers are controlled, that is all as it might help you solve your problem.

Edit:- also, the headlight washers get inhibited when the fluid level drops to and below the "low fluid warning" level.

I think they are just poorly made since 2 brand new from Audi were leaking since only one does it and from service book from Audi they attempted to fix these before by replacing them...
The car is 2015 and had 1 owner who kept it mint - it was still smelling as new car inside.
I can only think of an issue with Audi parts but no one came back to my post wit a similar issue.
If it would have been anything else except the driver side headlight washer I presume it would have leaking both and somewhere else from the pump down the circuit...

True, or maybe new O-ring seal or so is required when you change one, or it was just an O-ring seal that had failed in the first place, I've not had to take mine apart so far.