Purchasing used 8V A3 - couple of questions

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a used A3 8V ideally with no more than 75k. I was pondering if to get the late 8P or the 8V, and even though that 8V will end up costing me more than I was planning to spend, the 8p feels dated.

I live in the city so this would be hopping around car, with occasional long distance trips. I anticipate putting on around 5000k miles per year.

1. By research the ideal engine would be 1.4 TFSI, but also looking at 1.6TDI and 2.0TDI. Is there one model 1.4 TFSI or different engines? I see different performance (120 BHP vs 138 BHP) depending on the listing. How do I know which engine is optimal?

2. I am looking for 2014-2016 vintages - up to 75k miles. Is there anything I need to look for for service?

2. What are the options with the car? I know it comes with the LCD display, is there one dimension or two different sizes, if different sizes how do I know which one to look for? Also - I see a lot come with BT does that allow phone and audio streaming or just phone sync? Is there a USB/Line in port or was that optional? Will look to aftermarket retrofit with Carplay later on?

3. This is my first used car purchase in the UK, I am probably going to end up at a dealer vs. private, would you run an inspection on the car or pay a service to inspect it, even if it comes with all the maintenance logs?

Thanks

Hi

1. At 5 k a year I would not go down the the diesel route , the DPF don’t like short journeys, especially as you are going to be well out of warranty. 1.4 122 or 150 either is fine.

2. Okay first up on the engine timing belt should be done at 5 yrs , if not knock £500 of the price.
Watch out for electronic handbrake problems this can be costly if not working correctly.The brake fluid should have been flushed by now.
The rest is just the usual , worn suspension arm bushes etc which will fail the mot.
Exhausts are long lasting but to be honest if the car is a dog walk away.

3. The facelift 2016 onwards will have android play , BT and the larger screen along with 2 usb posts , usually has sat nat but the updates are costly , just run off the android play.
Pre face lift , 2 sizes of screen , depending on whether sat nav was installed at factory , will have BT and one input by proprietary adaptor either to usb or lighting cable , aftermarket upgrade to “bolt on “ CarPlay is going to cost around£450.
4. Personally if you are unsure about cars I would go via dealer , I know VW dealers do a good warranty / inspection on their used stock.

If you are doing a few long trips get one with cruise control , watch out it wasn’t standard on the SE and sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a used A3 8V ideally with no more than 75k. I was pondering if to get the late 8P or the 8V, and even though that 8V will end up costing me more than I was planning to spend, the 8p feels dated.

I live in the city so this would be hopping around car, with occasional long distance trips. I anticipate putting on around 5000k miles per year.

1. By research the ideal engine would be 1.4 TFSI, but also looking at 1.6TDI and 2.0TDI. Is there one model 1.4 TFSI or different engines? I see different performance (120 BHP vs 138 BHP) depending on the listing. How do I know which engine is optimal?

2. I am looking for 2014-2016 vintages - up to 75k miles. Is there anything I need to look for for service?

2. What are the options with the car? I know it comes with the LCD display, is there one dimension or two different sizes, if different sizes how do I know which one to look for? Also - I see a lot come with BT does that allow phone and audio streaming or just phone sync? Is there a USB/Line in port or was that optional? Will look to aftermarket retrofit with Carplay later on?

3. This is my first used car purchase in the UK, I am probably going to end up at a dealer vs. private, would you run an inspection on the car or pay a service to inspect it, even if it comes with all the maintenance logs?

Thanks

i had a 2014 1.6tdi, do NOT get one for the mileage you do. Expect big bills regarding unblocking the DPF if you do those journeys you state. Mine was ok and I did do short journeys during weekdays but each weekend I had to do trips of 400miles so it made up for it. Go for a petrol, fuel is cheaper now and your town driving will be the same for mpg, diesel mpg town driving isn’t any different to petrol in my opinion, only on big trips do you see a 10+mpg difference.

if you are going for a PFL then my advice is get a high spec. If you get a low spec car with the small screen then it’s terrible. Also make sure you can see the navigation working because if not this is £500 to activate and it has to be done by Audi, no way around it!

Avoid SE models, seats aren’t great, Sport model was what I had and it was fine but you really should be looking at an S-line but those models don’t mean anything really regarding options and tech. You can get the highest model car with the lowest spec still so watch out for that!

Not got a clue about price, sorry!

First one has the small screen. You can see that the bezels are quite big in the pictures. Also it doesn’t have LED lights, just halogen. Not sure if it’s something that bothers you or not.
Second one is the same, small screen with big bezels, at least you can see that sat nav is activated.
Both seem similar cars. Nothing stands out in features, pretty basic models. Try for an S-line and not black!! Pain to keep clean!!

Thanks. Very few if any S-Line’s in my budget. I would like the bigger screen but not sure how crucial vs engine. How do I know if te 2nd has LED lights?

Thanks. Very few if any S-Line’s in my budget. I would like the bigger screen but not sure how crucial vs engine. How do I know if te 2nd has LED lights?

Fair enough. Send a few through so we can all give you some tips. LED lights are different design on the rear, you can see those two you sent are halogen from the front and rear design. Google it, it will come up

Thanks. Here is another one that has lower miles:

https://www.shortfieldgarage.co.uk/...028.772765750.1589406318-879977167.1588438310

This one has 120 bhps engine versus the other two which had 140 bhps COD. It seems that 140 bhps has 1 sec or faster 0-60 mphs. In terms of options that are important I would really like Bluetooth audio and phone hook up, I was planning on doing a Carplay retrofit if can get decent audio quality and there are options. This would supersede navigation. The automatic climate control seems like a nice option. It has to be 5 doors and in terms of colour gray, navy blue or black would be nice.

Thanks. Here is another one that has lower miles:

https://www.shortfieldgarage.co.uk/...028.772765750.1589406318-879977167.1588438310

This one has 120 bhps engine versus the other two which had 140 bhps COD. It seems that 140 bhps has 1 sec or faster 0-60 mphs. In terms of options that are important I would really like Bluetooth audio and phone hook up, I was planning on doing a Carplay retrofit if can get decent audio quality and there are options. This would supersede navigation. The automatic climate control seems like a nice option. It has to be 5 doors and in terms of colour gray, navy blue or black would be nice.

SE model though só seats are not great and steering wheel isn’t multifunction I don’t think. Sorry if I’m putting a downer on the ones your showing! Just hope you get the best you can...

Thanks much appreciated. It seems that in my price range which is up to £9.5k and <65k I am going to find Sport and a regular screen. Or I will sacrifice on the COD engine - the first 2 models seem the only ones that had the COD engine. What is the consensus is it a worthy option over the regular 120bhp engine?

A couple of questions/things that are important to me:
1. How difficult/expensive is it to retrofit with LED lights aftermarket?
2. Do all the A3 Sport come with MMI interface and Bluetooth? I would like to get the MMI/Lighting adapt to play Spotify and ideally have tracks displayed. Not sure how possible that is?

Here are. a few models - this one is certified pre-owned.

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...b25kb24sIEVuZ2xhbmQ|1051,10000/l|12,1,t_geo,U

Thanks much appreciated. It seems that in my price range which is up to £9.5k and <65k I am going to find Sport and a regular screen. Or I will sacrifice on the COD engine - the first 2 models seem the only ones that had the COD engine. What is the consensus is it a worthy option over the regular 120bhp engine?

A couple of questions/things that are important to me:
1. How difficult/expensive is it to retrofit with LED lights aftermarket?
2. Do all the A3 Sport come with MMI interface and Bluetooth? I would like to get the MMI/Lighting adapt to play Spotify and ideally have tracks displayed. Not sure how possible that is?

Here are. a few models - this one is certified pre-owned.

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...b25kb24sIEVuZ2xhbmQ|1051,10000/l|12,1,t_geo,U
As far as I’m aware you can’t get tracks to show up on the MMI if you are playing through Spotify, although I tend to use Apple Music so happy to be corrected by others if I’m wrong.

Bear in mind if you want to retrofit car play you’ll have to replace the whole MMI system to the newer version used in facelift cars (66 reg onwards), that wouldn’t be a cheap job. Some others have retrofitted on here so may be able to give you a guide on price but I think you’d be looking at around a grand all in.

As far as I’m aware you can’t get tracks to show up on the MMI if you are playing through Spotify, although I tend to use Apple Music so happy to be corrected by others if I’m wrong.

Bear in mind if you want to retrofit car play you’ll have to replace the whole MMI system to the newer version used in facelift cars (66 reg onwards), that wouldn’t be a cheap job. Some others have retrofitted on here so may be able to give you a guide on price but I think you’d be looking at around a grand all in.

You get a bolt on for around £699 , https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/pr...retrofit/wireless-apple-carplay-for-audi-mib/

For a city, my opinion is to go for an auto. I live SE London and I’m happy to never have to change gear...ever again.

I judged the 1.5 TFSI s-tronic to suit my needs, which are similar to yours from the sound of it and estimated mileage.

‘17 plates will be £30/yr road tax.. ‘67 plates ~£140 / yr... watch out for this. UK GOV government changed their rod tax pricing model in between. I didn’t realise until buying the car...happy to pass this lesson along, if you weren’t aware.

i originally had similar budget to you, but ended up with a 67 plate A3 S-line black edition with the Technology pack (Virtual ****-pit is cool) for ~£17k, approved used from an Audi dealership in Feb.

As your first time buying a car in UK...If you go to dealership and are thinking of buying the car outright..Do not tell them how you intend to pay for the car before they give you the best “deal” they can.. they make more commission on finance than an outright payment. Nor tell them how many miles you estimate to do, as sometimes they use this as justification for a ‘higher than average mileage’ car at a higher price than it really should be.

D.

You get a bolt on for around £699 , https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/pr...retrofit/wireless-apple-carplay-for-audi-mib/

Thanks. Is this any good? I read on forums that sound quality is not great but then I think it's lower cost units.

If the car is a TFSI Sport without the tech upgrade, is there a standard port to plug in the iPhone to stream music? Does it come with Bluetooth streaming? What do I get with the additional Tech Kit or Navigation upgrade?

I am split between getting the 1.4 COD 140 bhps engine versus the regular 120 bhps and a system that has the Navigation/bigger screen. I was going to upgrade to Carplay, but as its not a good/easy option navigation then may be a good. It's hard to find the car in my range that has both options.

That’ll probably be the same version you can get on aliexpress for £200 odd that price just includes supply and fitting. I researched them a while back when my Dad still had his PFL A3, lots of people that had gotten them fitted but weren’t very impressed with it’s long term reliability and functionality.

That system piggy backs off the original MMI unit rather than being a standalone system as such, facelift cars were fitted with new MMI systems with I believe a updated graphics chip and processor no doubt helping with incorporating CarPlay.

Last edited:

Seem quite expensive, I'm sure you could get an SLine for that price if you don't mind purchasing privately. Even dealers have SLines up for those prices.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...age=70000&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Give autotrader a look if you haven't already, you can filter by dealers.

Seem quite expensive, I'm sure you could get an SLine for that price if you don't mind purchasing privately. Even dealers have SLines up for those prices.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...age=70000&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Give autotrader a look if you haven't already, you can filter by dealers.

Thanks. What's the best way to find a 'fair' price on the model? I checked the Auto Trader rating and for model it is listed as either fair or low. I see these running anywhere between £8.5-£10k but no one has exact same options, mileage etc. In the US, we have the blue book so its about how much are we looking to pay the dealer above that amount.

When do negotiations happen - before visiting the dealer or when at the dealer and after the test drive? It's a bit tricky with the lockdown.

Last edited:
Lockdown does make things harder, you can negotiate whenever you like, if you find something that would warrant knocking some money off I’d just bring it up with the dealer, a lot of the time they’ll end up rectifying the issues but the price of the car is nearly always negotiable.

As for price, the autotrader rating can be a bit hit or miss, the best way really is to see what they’re selling for currently by browsing a few different sites, autotrader is by far the most popular in the uk but you can always look on Audi’s website for approved used cars, these will run a premium but they’ll have warranty with Audi.

Don't forget eBay too. Loads of cars on there and I would say that is the most popular site in the UK, Autotrader second. It depends really, I would "trust" Autotrader dealers more but I haven't used them for yrs. A few of my most recent cars have been off eBay including my 2014 A3, some real bargains should be available soon, especially with the Coronavirus recession coming around soon. Dealers, especially 2nd hand car dealers will be needing to shift stock. I think you are in a really good position to get a bargain.

Just had a look on eBay and I think your budget is good but it's your engine choice that is holding you back. SOOOOOOO many really really good diesel options, maybe that's the area you should revisit.

Having said that, found these petrol options on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-TFSI-SPORT/254572617740?hash=item3b45b5e00c:g:2GAAAOSwat9eoTNz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Aud...047358?hash=item1ce589087e:g:lQwAAOSw5jleY9Em

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Aud...045778?hash=item34279f3992:g:9Y8AAOSwFdRerVTm

Don't forget eBay too. Loads of cars on there and I would say that is the most popular site in the UK, Autotrader second. It depends really, I would "trust" Autotrader dealers more but I haven't used them for yrs. A few of my most recent cars have been off eBay including my 2014 A3, some real bargains should be available soon, especially with the Coronavirus recession coming around soon. Dealers, especially 2nd hand car dealers will be needing to shift stock. I think you are in a really good position to get a bargain.

Just had a look on eBay and I think your budget is good but it's your engine choice that is holding you back. SOOOOOOO many really really good diesel options, maybe that's the area you should revisit.

Having said that, found these petrol options on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-TFSI-SPORT/254572617740?hash=item3b45b5e00c:g:2GAAAOSwat9eoTNz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Aud...047358?hash=item1ce589087e:g:lQwAAOSw5jleY9Em

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Aud...045778?hash=item34279f3992:g:9Y8AAOSwFdRerVTm

Thanks for this. I actually started with Diesel in mind, however moved to Petrol quickly because I live in London (so would need a newer model) and also my driving habits (i.e. few short drives during the week and then occasional long drives) doesn't suit with the DPF which a number of people flagged up. I will check eBay - the price ranges for my mileage and options are consistent - £8.5k for a low spec-ed one, £9.5k for medium spec-ed and £10-£11k for higher spec. I wonder how much I will be able to knock down in real negotiation?

I haven't seen many 7 inch resolution screens on many items at all. I guess I will take the smaller screen and focus on the 1.4 TFSI COD motor. I am on the fence if to push for Navigation, I know navigation units are obsolete and not great compared to what we get on the phone with Google Maps, Waze however in light of not having an easy/good route to upgrade to Carplay I am reconsidering.

One last thing - if used through a non-Audi dealer would you pay AA or a mechanic to inspect the car? I know a lot of dealers are offering full service history and also AA/RAC checks.

thanks

Thanks for this. I actually started with Diesel in mind, however moved to Petrol quickly because I live in London (so would need a newer model) and also my driving habits (i.e. few short drives during the week and then occasional long drives) doesn't suit with the DPF which a number of people flagged up. I will check eBay - the price ranges for my mileage and options are consistent - £8.5k for a low spec-ed one, £9.5k for medium spec-ed and £10-£11k for higher spec. I wonder how much I will be able to knock down in real negotiation?

I haven't seen many 7 inch resolution screens on many items at all. I guess I will take the smaller screen and focus on the 1.4 TFSI COD motor. I am on the fence if to push for Navigation, I know navigation units are obsolete and not great compared to what we get on the phone with Google Maps, Waze however in light of not having an easy/good route to upgrade to Carplay I am reconsidering.

One last thing - if used through a non-Audi dealer would you pay AA or a mechanic to inspect the car? I know a lot of dealers are offering full service history and also AA/RAC checks.

thanks

My wife bought a 2015 sport 122 bhp from new ,add ons lumber , front parking sensors , cruise control , hold assist and auto wipers.
I got a facelift as a company car , to be honest the CarPlay was a novelty after a while didn’t really use it quite happy if I’ve got DAB.
Granted the graphics looked better but both mmi units worked fine.
As for your question about plug in phone , here is the 2015 working Spotify , I can move tracks back and forward on my playlists but it won’t list the whole selection unlike the facelift.
Auto hold is a boost especially in stop /start traffic but wasn’t
4dd39e5ecf02a72c8eb523abde73f52b.jpg
standard until 2017

bdb44897207518faef98f45916416c4f.jpg

You have to work back and forward from knob , no control on steering wheel unlike facelift.

I still have a PDF of 2015 brochure , pm me your email and I will forward , it will show std equipment and accessories at that time

Facelift screen Spotify working through Bluetooth, for some reason android auto not working , will try and reboot.
d3dad5aaf45ffcfd426e0856f8a1ae66.jpg

And facelift track controls on wheel now , note prefacelift car buttons are backlit in orange , facelift clean white.
322a7b44c8916419de05374195944cc3.jpg

bdb44897207518faef98f45916416c4f.jpg

You have to work back and forward from knob , no control on steering wheel unlike facelift.

PFL does have steering wheel stereo control, much like the later photo you posted for FL. my 2014 sport model did anyway.

2015 wheel the lhs will scroll radio station / cd/ as card tracks but not bt phone tracks
149df905dc79cb5ae8f73109082c3997.jpg

2016 facelift sport, can use this the button to scroll next track on bt phone
18eeff6059a432e393996763e2e08291.jpg

Ah yeah you might be right but you can program the star button to go forward a track I think?

Thanks guys this is super useful.

I suspect that all A3 Sport come with the standard Bluetooth connection. What fixed AV connection can I expect - i.e. is there an MMI to USB/Lightening port that can be used to connect your mobile device? I assume the model will not have the High Tech package and the phone box.

Thanks

I had a think and am now looking at 2017+ models as I really would like Carplay and nicer LCD. Also, on the 2017 1.4 COD is standard with quicker performance versus earlier models they are a rare find. So I found a couple of models, these are SE as that's all I can find in my revised price range.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...nce&maximum-mileage=70000&year-to=2020&page=1https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...nce&maximum-mileage=70000&year-to=2020&page=1

This one would have Carplay, steering wheel controls, the only thing it would be missing is sports suspensions and dual AC. Or is there more missing?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...nce&maximum-mileage=70000&year-to=2020&page=1

Also I know my mileage is mostly city based so Diesel does not make sense, but seems that I can get better deals on TDI so 2.0TDI is considered.

Thanks,

My S3 facelift model (registered in November 2016) and on a 66 plate has Apple carplay when the iphone is plugged into one of the USB ports in the armrest. My car has the ‘tech pack advanced’ package and the Audi phone box. I am not sure if CarPlay is standard on all facelift models though.

EDIT: Just looking in my facelift 2016 brochure and yes, Android Auto and Apple Carplay is standard across the range.

Last edited:
Thanks that's perfect. I can find some decent 2016 in Sport that will practically hit all my requirements.

I am finding better deals on the 2.0TDI versus the 1.4 TFSI. I know I was going to go with the TFSI due to my driving prefernces (low mileage, City Driving), but 2.0TDI is not a bd engine. My only concern is sporadic City driving and the DPF. I am also in London so I 2016+ TDI would satisfy the City requirements.

Is it manageable or something to stay away from?

Last edited:
I’d go for the petrol personally if I lived in London.

Don’t forget that it might be best to get a facelift model if you can. You can see the distinct U shape underneath the main grille, and the headlights have a small piece that juts out at the bottom. The red vehicle is facelift and I think they started to come out around June/July 2016.