Cover up license plate holes?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I know you can buy color coded plugs from america, but I am not paying £25.00 + shipping + tax to get them delivered when I think I may be able to make my own.

I have seen lots of people with small plates and I cannot see any existing holes which is strange as mine are standard holes done by Audi and have not changed, they are exactly 18 inches hole to hole. A standard plate is 20" so how are people getting the 5 and 6 digit plates without seeing the holes in the boot?

How do people get small plates without seeing the manufacture holes?

I was thinking of painting a flat screw cap cover in my dealer color and just use pvc glue to cover it.

I want a 6 digit plate size, but if I do this then you will see the holes in the boot as a 6 digit plate is 14 inches I think?

What have you all done if you have short plates ?

This is my tailgate after taking the standard plate off. Holes were quite close together on my A6. On my last car, an A4 the holes were right at the edges of the standard plate and therefore I couldn't fit a shorter plate.
a631f84a72e93449b4a053b8eccca8f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is my rear end now
47e6ba605c5165eae9d73abea4dc2718.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DieselJake
Yeah yours are very close.
I only have a inch each end, so I cannot fit a short plate without seeing the holes.

I am wondering if anyone has managed to cover them and how they did it?

On the front i did, i smoothed off the holes then filled them with plastic filler sanded it flat and then vinyl wrapped the plate plinth in gloss black. Like new.

I am getting a honeycomb grill for the front and push on clips so I can put the plate down low, but I think its either a case of using the existing screws for the rear and using plastic screw caps and painting them with touch up paint or just have a full size plate.
Ive not decided yet on which to do.