VIN and registration number?

hutchys

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently ordered an A6 Allroad (lease direct from Audi dealer) and as above I have been given a VIN and registration number.

But I am being told the car is still at port of exit, so my question is can you be given a VIN and Reg number if the car is not yet in the country?

VIN is allocated when the car is “born” so no surprise you have a VIN. As the car is not yet in the country can only assume the dealer has simply allocated a reg number from those available for the car ahead of it arriving and being registered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, totally normal to get the VIN before the car has arrived in UK. I got mine whilst the car was still in Germany. Also once you get the VIN, you can setup your MyAudi account on my.audi.com, though obviously you won't get full functionality until you start driving the car.

Thanks for the replies,
The VIN number I can understand I have had these myself in the past.
The one I don't understand is the registration number. I thought you could not get this whilst the car is out of the country still, but as Elan2s suggests they may have allocated me a reg number before it arrives, still I have never known this happen before.