Retrofitting PDC (Park Distance Control) + PLA (Park Lane Assist)

Too be honest bud I had trouble with one of my sensors this week and on the rns-e it showed as the front left outer, fault code showed left outer when I looked at it it was actually the right outer. But as long as the screen shows the correct place I can live with that. I’ll sort it eventually but not today haha

Also hi st had a little check online and it looks like the genuine number for the front bumper park assist loom is 8p0 971 085C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
(Almost) done. Got the loom back from Troubs, connected it and it worked :). However the loom was a bit short on one side so I had to extend the loom and guess what, it started failing after me cutting it..... Sigh...

Well, got myself some new crimps and crimping tool so gonna bend over this issue later this week.
For the people using a Kufatec loom, the imprints on the cable dont correspond with ElsaWin, so connecting it OEM you should follow this pinout for the front sensors:

ECU - Kufactec imprint - T8z bumper harness connector
PIN1 - Imprint "Sechs" (6) - PIN1
PIN2 - Imprint "Eins" (1) - PIN1
PIN5 - Imprint "Fuenf" (5) - PIN3
PIN6 - Imprint "Vier" (4) - PIN4
PIN7 - Imprint "Zwei" (2) - PIN5
PIN8 - Imprint "Drei" (3) - PIN6
PIN9 - n/a - PIN7
PIN10 - n/a - PIN8

Couldnt wait and drove to the garage after work. Changed the PLA sensor and crimped the wires again, system working. Now hoping it wont shut me down again.

Lesson I learned is not to use Chinese sensors anymore, better getting some secondhand genuine ones.
1bb20ecc97687b7214414bed0bbf2415.jpg

Reactions: George Kost and Troubs12
I hope I will have more luck than you! Mine all 10 sensors are from China since I didn’t have rear pdc either.
I started building the looms yesterday.
Still waiting some last items to arrive by post.

Attachments

• 5B542358-A32B-40CC-98F7-4BAC23C0BE9D.jpeg
    5B542358-A32B-40CC-98F7-4BAC23C0BE9D.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 297
I hope I will have more luck than you! Mine all 10 sensors are from China since I didn’t have rear pdc either.
I started building the looms yesterday.
Still waiting some last items to arrive by post.

Looking good bud. Have my fingers crossed for you.
Tip: make the loom long, it's better to have it a bit longer then having too short. You can route the cable through the bumper etc but when it's too short things will break obviously.

I fried like 3 PLA sensors by connecting them the wrong way. The PLA connectors have like a ditch in them and genuine PLA sensors have like a little clip that shoves into that ditch. The Chinese sensors dont have that so you can stick them in both ways. Costed me some sensors :blink:

Reactions: George Kost
Just a though @George Kost when you make pictures of your progress I'm able to extend the PDC/PLA manual to a version where also fitting the rear PDC is included :).

No problem!
I will contact you when finished to send you some pictures!

Reactions: henkkeumus
Quick question:
Regarding the hole under and behind the steering wheel that leads to the engine bay through the firewall for LHD.
Behind and at the top of the battery I have two looms coming from the inside of the car. But the hole is much higher than the inside hole.
Is there another hole behind the battery? Meaning the battery must be removed to have access?

Attachments

• 50DEB458-2DAC-4403-B354-BEAEA0777178.jpeg
    50DEB458-2DAC-4403-B354-BEAEA0777178.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Quick question:
Regarding the hole under and behind the steering wheel that leads to the engine bay through the firewall for LHD.
Behind and at the top of the battery I have two looms coming from the inside of the car. But the hole is much higher than the inside hole.
Is there another hole behind the battery? Meaning the battery must be removed to have access?

Yes you need to remove the battery and its housing to get good access. Dont have my external drive here at the moment but I have some pictures clarifying that.

Quick question:

Inside (under steeringwheel)

photo-2020-07-19-10-42-48.jpg

In engine compartment (behind battery)

photo-2020-07-19-10-42-51.jpg

photo-2020-07-19-10-42-56.jpg

Finished the retrofit today! Needed several afternoons installing all the looms and such.
By far the most difficult is to tap to the can bus connector since I didn’t have rear PDC in the first place. Mine is LHD and the can bus is under the steering wheel and at the back making it really difficult to access and work.
Coding worked great. I have though an error to the park assist module which I will investigate another day. Something to do with communication. But the system works great! All sensors work and it parks itself as it should.
I will also post diagrams of the looms and the lengths since I made all the looms myself in case anybody want to make his own looms as I did.
@henkkeumus I will send you a Dropbox link when have some time with my pictures so you can update the manual!

Reactions: samisnake and henkkeumus
Finished the retrofit today! Needed several afternoons installing all the looms and such.
By far the most difficult is to tap to the can bus connector since I didn’t have rear PDC in the first place. Mine is LHD and the can bus is under the steering wheel and at the back making it really difficult to access and work.
Coding worked great. I have though an error to the park assist module which I will investigate another day. Something to do with communication. But the system works great! All sensors work and it parks itself as it should.
I will also post diagrams of the looms and the lengths since I made all the looms myself in case anybody want to make his own looms as I did.
@henkkeumus I will send you a Dropbox link when have some time with my pictures so you can update the manual!

Good good!

Yep the CAN-Gateway is located at a spot that is hard to reach indeed. Glad you worked it out :)

Congrats on the retrofit bud I was just wondering what the fault you’ve got stored? I’m fairly familiar with the system and if I can help just shout bud.

Congrats on the retrofit bud I was just wondering what the fault you’ve got stored? I’m fairly familiar with the system and if I can help just shout bud.
I left the laptop in the car to rescan the module.
I will report to you back tomorrow! Thanks Troubs!

I sorted it out.
The error was "Transmission Control Module" No Signal/Communication.
The module was coded for automatic transmission.
But again after applying the code I get an Unknown Error. But after remove the key and retry, the module has kept the new values.

Also in the Can bus module, in the installation list I did not have "Parking Aid II".
I checked the box of "10 Park/Steer Assist".

Here are some screenshots of all the coding for my car. LHD, manual, 5 door, start/stop.

Attachments

• Park Assist.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 342
Here are all the 4 looms that needed with the lengths to fit a 5 door A3 that had no PDC at all.

Attachments

• pdc-pla wiring lenghts.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 390
I sorted it out.
The error was "Transmission Control Module" No Signal/Communication.
The module was coded for automatic transmission.
But again after applying the code I get an Unknown Error. But after remove the key and retry, the module has kept the new values.

Also in the Can bus module, in the installation list I did not have "Parking Aid II".
I checked the box of "10 Park/Steer Assist".

Here are some screenshots of all the coding for my car. LHD, manual, 5 door, start/stop.

Nice mate glad you sorted it. I had no pdc and the wrong abs lump and steering rack when I did mine so I definitely feel your pain when it comes to this mod but it’s worth the headache. Since this thread has started I’ve had a new “gotta use it” vibe haha

Reactions: henkkeumus and George Kost
I now have all the parts needed at hand but I don’t know if I will go through with it.
It’s mostly the fact that I live in a village and parking spots are not what you would expect...so apart from the wow factor I think I will sell the lot for someone that will put it in good use...

Here is a video in case you change your mind!
For sure it is a feature that is going to be used just for fun!

Reactions: Mr_Dude, samisnake and Andreashadji

Or if you have a killer hangover I can personally vouch for this it’s saved my car a few times lol

Reactions: aqibi2000, henkkeumus, Andreashadji and 1 other person

Mate it must be nice living in Greece. See you wearing summerclothes. Ot’s f*cking 7 degrees celcius here already, feeling the winter

Mate it must be nice living in Greece. See you wearing summerclothes. Ot’s f*cking 7 degrees celcius here already, feeling the winter
Yeah the weather is still great! But too hot during the summer months.
Each country has its pros and cons!

Small problem...
Today I placed wiring from Ecu to engine (noting connected yet, only preparation). I had to remove RNS-E from quadlock, and bluetooth module from connector.
After much gain with this, I put battery back, then connected RNS-E and bluetooth back in place, but no power on RNS-E. Did anyone had similar situation?

I don’t have RNS-E. I have the simple radio. But no problem when I did the fitting.
Do you have VCDS so you can check if there are any errors?
You can also check the small fuse on the back of the head unit and the fuse on the fuse box. Mine is fuse 9 “radio navigation”.

Small problem...
Today I placed wiring from Ecu to engine (noting connected yet, only preparation). I had to remove RNS-E from quadlock, and bluetooth module from connector.
After much gain with this, I put battery back, then connected RNS-E and bluetooth back in place, but no power on RNS-E. Did anyone had similar situation?

Well if you didn't connect anything yet you must have pulled a wire from the quadlock or blown a fuse.

Like Georg says, check your fuses and check if the pins in your quadlock are still in the right way (pushed in far enough etc).

Small problem...

Is it factory Bluetooth? Also can you still connect to it? If both the Bluetooth and the rns-e have no power you’ve probably blown the fuse but if you can connect to the Bluetooth you’ve probably knocked a wire on the quad lock.

Today two of the sensors fell back into the bumpers.
I used some double sided tape which seems to not hold!!
I will buy some glue to use.
@henkkeumus what glue did you use? Those two-part Epoxy?
I will try to find something with small curing time so I can glue the bracket and attach the bumper almost straight away.

Innotec topfix is the best resin.

Double sided tape in those environments isn't great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Today two of the sensors fell back into the bumpers.
I used some double sided tape which seems to not hold!!
I will buy some glue to use.
@henkkeumus what glue did you use? Those two-part Epoxy?
I will try to find something with small curing time so I can glue the bracket and attach the bumper almost straight away.

Hey mate,

I did not glue them, I bought some more PDC holders (as spare) and I just melted them into the bumper.
I got a gasheater and heated up a big screwdriver. Then I pushed that onto the plastic of the PDC holder untill it melted in the bumper.

Hey mate,

I did not glue them, I bought some more PDC holders (as spare) and I just melted them into the bumper.
I got a gasheater and heated up a big screwdriver. Then I pushed that onto the plastic of the PDC holder untill it melted in the bumper.
Hardcore!

Small problem...
Solved this morning.
When I opened bluetooth connector I slided this blue part (with 2 rows) on wrong side of black holder (with 3 rows). Luckily, RNS-E and Bluetooth Unit are OK, only 15A mini fuse died, :).
Now everything is normal.

Attachments

• 20201015_083219.jpg
    20201015_083219.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20201015_121102.jpg
    20201015_121102.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: George Kost and henkkeumus
One more in the club!

Finished the retrofit today (after small Korona pause). Thank You all for help, especially George's wiring drawing, that helped me to create my own wiring from scrapyard wires (not Kufatec, saved 80€). Total cost 150€. Works perfect (tested both left and right side parking)!!! Great graphical view of sensors on RNSE!

I am glad the drawings helped you!
This is the point of being part of a forum!!

Total cost for only 150€?
Man this is great!!!
Mine was 415€ for everything because I didn’t have rear PDC from the factory.

I wish I had RNS-E as well but I cannot justify the cost for such old unit.
And from my research the Android units don’t do OPS unfortunately.

Total cost for only 150€?
Man this is great!!!
Mine was 415€ for everything because I didn’t have rear PDC from the factory.

Yeah, I had rear sensors, and here are cost:
1. PDC+PLA Module -------------------------------------40E - scrapyard
2. front bumper wiring + 4 PDC sensor-------- ------40E - used, Ebay
3. PLA sensors x 2----------------------------------------20E - new, Ebay
4. PLA+PDC cabine buttons----------------------------20E - used, scrapyard
5. Module wiring (self made), and all connectors---- 5E - used, scrapyard
6. PDC Holders x4---------------------------------------10E - new for Golf 6, Ebay
7. PLA Holders x2 + sensor rubber rings--------------25E - Audi shop
8. Epoxy glue----------------------------------------------5E
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 165E + lot of my time, but happy time, :)