What to look for? (A4 1.9 TDi 130 Sport)

VauxMadAudiFan

Reaction score
Hi People...

I have a few cars i have singled out in the possible line-up for my next vehicle (When i get it lol), one of which being an A4 1.9 TDi 130 Sport manual saloon in the B6 chassis...i may go for the SE if i find one i really like, but the Sport model is generally more appealing to me personally.

I am abit unaware of Audi's in general, and would be very greatful to any pointers as to what to look for or to take note of on this particular model, apart from the normal tyres, service history, exhaust smoke and mileage checks etc...and specific areas to check :)

I currently have my eye on one such car with upgrade 17" 5 spoke alloys and Buffalo leather, which appears to be rare...although this will no doubt have been sold by the time i make my mind up to actually get the next car ;)

and what MPG would i be expecting too, bearing in mind i don't do much long distance m/way driving, its mainly urban and flying about locally, and my right foot is most deffinately made of lead lol...i struggled to get 30mpg average from a manual 2.2 DTi Omega saloon...and that shocked almost everyone i mentioned it to lol

Sorry if there is a buyers guide or this has been asked before, but i couldnt find anything on the site...many thanks in advance :)

As long as its got a full service history there isn't to much to go wrong really other than checking out the bits you mentioned and obviously keep an eye out or any accident damage.
depending on what year you are going for the 17" alloys may be standard, they were on my 04 plate avant anyway. The later models also have the GmbH body kit which looks the part.
As for mpg, I always get in the high 40's, higher on any longer runs. Mine is remapped though which has improved mpg slightly, and driveabilty loads.

Check for lower arm and bush wear, think the wishbones are improved over the B5 model though.

Also check the cambelt has been done (every 60k miles) and also that the climate control is working properly. Otherwise pretty bulletproof.
As said already you should easily get 100 miles to £10 do diesel i.e. 40-50mpg, 550-650 miles to a tank.

Thanks for the info guys :)

Sinny - It's a Y plate so 17's wouldn't have been standard, plus it does mention upgrade alloys in the advert, all the others ive seen on that age range have the 16's.

McGough - thanks for the link, look's a pearler, but its the saloon im hooked on...im sure you'll have no bother selling that though.

Also, is there anyway to check if its an actual 130 model apart from the Red 'I' on the badge?...i wouldnt put it past some unscrupulous seller/trader to whap a red 'I' badge on to make abit more money...this type of crap does happen.

130 is AWX engine code.Look in the spare wheel well there is a data sticker and on the logbook.

I would also look for any options,DIS,armrest,Xenons,Bose,there must be more...

Should also show the power output in kW on the sticker in the boot, 130bhp=95kW. 110bhp is only 80kW

I have this car (130 TDI sport on an 02 61k miles) and i think it is great!! Now that i have had it a year (13k miles) all i have found wrong is that it does not know that the nearside rear door is open and self locks again after 5 mins. bit if a bitch when thats the side my baby goes into. Also a new battrey was requred 2months ago.

If i had just had a bit more money at the time i would have got one with quatrro as in the wet the traction control has to work hard. But that could be down to my budget 235/40/18 tyres.

In all i think it is a great car i get 40mg round town and 50is in long journeys. I plan to keep it another year then get a newer one!

Tyres make a big difference.I had uniroyal rainsport and they are great in the wet,not bad in the dry too.

james0808 said:
Tyres make a big difference.I had uniroyal rainsport and they are great in the wet,not bad in the dry too.

Agree here. The OEM continentals our avant came with were continental sport contacts which tramlined all over the place, the goodyear F1's that then went on were garbage and the Michelin primacy that are now on are streets ahead.

Our family transport is the avant version of the car you're looking for VauxMadAudiFan and we're very happy with it. For an example of mpg figures we can drive from Bath to Aberdeen without needing to fill up... The only thing to keep an eye on is that it does have quite an apetite for engine oil.

We have leather, bose etc. It's quiet and refined on motorway cruising, and pretty pokey in the overtaking power band - much more than I would have given it credit for before trying as it's 95bhp less than my car. If I'd bought it new I would have added heated seats and one thing I notice the most compared to my car is the xenon's and even more the headlight washers that come with them - both worth having.

SimonP said:
Our family transport is the avant version of the car you're looking for VauxMadAudiFan and we're very happy with it. For an example of mpg figures we can drive from Bath to Aberdeen without needing to fill up... The only thing to keep an eye on is that it does have quite an apetite for engine oil.

Some can use quite a bit of oil. Ours doesn't and I put that down to driving it reasonably hard from new. however we only average high 30s or if we're lucky low 40s in mostly rural driving. Still, it'll easily do 500-600 miles between fill ups.

SimonP said:
If I'd bought it new I would have added heated seats and one thing I notice the most compared to my car is the xenon's and even more the headlight washers that come with them - both worth having.

I wouldn't be without Xenons now. I only wish I could have had bi-xenons but Audi seem to lag begin VW for this sort of thing e.g. we had rain sensors on our Bora but they weren't available on the B6. You could get bi-xenons on the Passat for years but again they only became available when the B7 came out.

Macduff said:
I only wish I could have had bi-xenons but Audi seem to lag begin VW for this sort of thing e.g. we had rain sensors on our Bora but they weren't available on the B6. You could get bi-xenons on the Passat for years but again they only became available when the B7 came out.

There is a very good reason why the B6 doesn't have the Bi-Xenons - it is simply down to the limitation in dimensions of the headlamp assembly. On the B6 with the standard dip-only Xenon, the diameter of the glass projector lens is relatively small. The Bi-Xenons (dip > main) need a moveable metallic shield operated by an electro-magnet, beteween the HID capsule and the glass projector lens. On the B7s, the shape of the headlamp assembly allows for the required larger diameter lens to cope with this specific requirement.

Saying that, providing they are correctly adjusted, the B6 Xenons are still a quantum leap over the conventional H7 halogen dips. If you do need greater main beam coverage, then swap the H7 main for Philips VisionPlus 50%.

Also, what spec are these engines?...be 4 cylinder i presume?...4 valves per cylinder?, single or double OHC?, and what is the torque figure please? :)

Teutonic_Tamer said:
There is a very good reason why the B6 doesn't have the Bi-Xenons - it is simply down to the limitation in dimensions of the headlamp assembly. On the B6 with the standard dip-only Xenon, the diameter of the glass projector lens is relatively small. The Bi-Xenons (dip > main) need a moveable metallic shield operated by an electro-magnet, beteween the HID capsule and the glass projector lens. On the B7s, the shape of the headlamp assembly allows for the required larger diameter lens to cope with this specific requirement.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit surprised that they managed it with the old Passat but I guess I'd have to look at the two side-by-side to see the headlamp differences. I assume the Passat has a larger headlamp assembly.

Teutonic_Tamer said:
If you do need greater main beam coverage, then swap the H7 main for Philips VisionPlus 50%.

Did that and TBH, they're only marginally better.

Macduff said:
Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit surprised that they managed it with the old Passat but I guess I'd have to look at the two side-by-side to see the headlamp differences. I assume the Passat has a larger headlamp assembly.

I presume you are talking about the B5 Passat - this did have a larger (taller) headlamp assembly when compared to the B6 A4, thus allowing for a larger diameter projector lens.

Another point, many B6 A4s came with the glass projector lens, but merely had H7 halogen dipped bulbs - which some peeps can get confused by. They think if they see the projector lens, then they must be Xenon/HIDs !!!

Macduff said:
Did that and TBH, they're only marginally better.

Ahh, but marginally better has got to be more desireable than ****-all better !! :)

Recently found something out that has put a major spanner in the works...am i right in thinking you cannot fold the rear seat-back down in these to increase the loadspace?

If so then im going to have to give these a miss unfortunately...i dont carry an alwful lot of large or awkward loads but do occasionally, and regardless of how big the actual boot it, i more often than not have to fold the rear seats down in any car i have to get the load in...and the Avant im not struck on really, it is the B6 saloon design id fallen for...

So in the words of Unlucky Alf from the Fast show..."Oh ******!"

Thankyou for all the help and advice everyone has given, it really has ben appreciated :)

VauxMadAudiFan said:
Recently found something out that has put a major spanner in the works...am i right in thinking you cannot fold the rear seat-back down in these to increase the loadspace?

Depends on how it was spec'd. It was a £200+ factory option so maybe a lot of people thought they wouldn't need it. I think it should be standard.

As a saloon owner (who sometimes wishes he'd got an Avant instead!) i thought i'd point out that even with the folding rear seats (which don't go totally flat!) you've still only got a 17" wide hole to put things through which makes transporting rabbit hutches a real pain in the ****! there has been the odd time when i thought an Avant would be much more practical but i really do prefer the look of the saloon and you can't have it all, can you?

HTH (or not!)

Richard

Seats fold flat if you take the bench out, just a 2 minute job.
Personally I prefer the look of the Avant, much more road presence and certainly the best looking estate on the road.

I had same dilema, so I opted for Avant, I think it looks as nice as saloon.
Cant be much difference in handling neither, I really push mine.

samuelt said:
I have this car (130 TDI sport on an 02 61k miles) and i think it is great!! Now that i have had it a year (13k miles) all i have found wrong is that it does not know that the nearside rear door is open and self locks again after 5 mins. bit if a bitch when thats the side my baby goes into. Also a new battrey was requred 2months ago.

Mine actually does the exact same thing on the same door! I believe it is a microsensor in the door lock itself rather than just the traditional button sensor in the doorwell, therefore expensive to replace, therefore will stay the way it is!!! :yes:

BTW, Vauxmadaudifan, one other thing to check is that the air blower motor for the air-con/interior air is working. They are very expensive to replace, and very common to fail, and to find a second hand one is not easy yet for the b6 model. Even second hand, I paid £129 for mine and fitted it myself.... That was after a month and a half of searching for one. :readit:

doogleman said:
Mine actually does the exact same thing on the same door! I believe it is a microsensor in the door lock itself rather than just the traditional button sensor in the doorwell, therefore expensive to replace, therefore will stay the way it is!!! :yes:

Had this happen on our VW Bora. Part was about £60 and another £40 to fit but probably easy enough to do yourself. I believe the most common cause is dirt on the switch so you could try cleaning it first.

henry74 said:
i thought i'd point out that even with the folding rear seats (which don't go totally flat!) you've still only got a 17" wide hole to put things through

True that the seats don't go totally flat but it's a reasonable load area.

Where do you get 17" from? I just measured the gap on our 2004 saloon. It's 1m (39.5") wide by 48cm (19")high

Macduff said:
Had this happen on our VW Bora. Part was about £60 and another £40 to fit but probably easy enough to do yourself. I believe the most common cause is dirt on the switch so you could try cleaning it first.

Jaysus, this thread is full of coincidences!!! See that black Bora in the picture below....... It happened it on the drivers door too!!! :zen:

AndyMac said:
Seats fold flat if you take the bench out, just a 2 minute job.
Personally I prefer the look of the Avant, much more road presence and certainly the best looking estate on the road.

Agreed :icon_thumright:

Its a right pain...I would have thought Audi of all people would have had foldable back seats as standard.

Unless of course it was a marketing ploy, for customers who had were in a quandry about the load space, and to which the salesman launches them towards the nearest Avant ;)

Im off to look at a similar model tomorrow, so thanks to everyone who posted on here, should help me to when I'm giving it the once over.