B8 Gearbox overheating, adapt driving style

noiser

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this message on dashboard while accelerating. Have 180.000km now and it ieems that under heavy acceleration the 3rd and 5th gears are "slipping", car stops accelerating and revs go high then the chime sounds and above error appear for 2 seconds. Then it dissappears and everything seems to work fine. There is also very rough shifting from 5th to 6th gear sometimes. Tried to replace mechatronic PCB as it it seems to be common problem, replaced both s-tronic filters (internal and external) and new fluid, but the problem persists. I think that there are two possibilities. One is faulty clutch, but more probably it seems like a mechatronic problem (possibly any hydraulic valve is faulty?) as same error is occuring on 3rd and 5th gear.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Thank a lot, I'm not happy eith audi service as they often do not know where the problem is and would like to replace mechatronic with clutch or complete gearbox... :-/

Thank you!

You need to replace the gearbox mechtronic
08f87734d2c3fe646ac7e410c4a107ae.jpg

I had same exact issue and a subpar substitute, China-made unit (based in HK so some garages source their parts from China) was installed at first, caused me 3 breakdowns and tows.

After ordering the replacement mechtronic unit from Germany and installing it, problems all gone

You may also experience an error msg saying your TPMS is malfunctioning too; this comes hand in hand with the mechtronic issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - I tried to order an Audi clutch repair set as in my oppinion it seems that some of the clutch discs are gone - what was your mileage when changing mechatronics? Thank you!

My mileage was around 70K Km, which is around 45K miles. But roads are short in HK and so for a more apple to apple comparison, the more informative fact would be I have owned this car since 2013 and it has been a daily drive.

The price for the mechtronic is approximately 2500gbp in HK (ex VAT) and you should make sure u have the right unit (not the made in China one)
51d6b251372d3ae269a8c785e6597de0.jpg

After re-reading your post I noticed you said you did 140K miles. You should take this opportunity to swap out the clutch plate as well, I replaced this and it helped.

This S-tronic gearbox is quite fragile so I advise some caution and regular care I.e. try not to downshift from 2nd to 1st under high speed, when starting the car let the engine warmup first until rpm dips below 1,000, when start-stop on slopes use the auto stop function, switch to N gear if waiting on a slope, things like these tend to help reduce wear and tear I find.

Also, I got some transmission inserts from 034motorsport planned down the line so hopefully that will reduce slop and improve overall gearbox functionality