Sweeper needle

Asim1

Reaction score
I know there has been threads on this in the past..I have noticed replies from @Tuffty in these particular threads. I was wondering as I have seen a few s3 8l sweeper needles on youtube if anyone over the years has figured out or found a way to do this on our cars

Yeah like above, can’t do it on our instrument clusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From memory, means changing the firmware on our instrument clusters. I think you can on a mk4 golf cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Asim1
I will do more research I have two other clusters that I might experiment on

My understanding of the issue is that there is not enough space for the code on the firmware chip on the 8L clusters

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Asim1 and MPH
someone has installed an S3 cluster in a golf so im sure a golf cluster will fit in an 8l, if you swap the housings, but then you have to deal with the different backlighting also as the golf ones are most of the time blue and not red

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1854302-Current-project-Audi-S3-cluster-into-mk4-dash
So it can be done excellent I know it's not too hard to change the back-lighting to red as seen this done before just a case of desoldering and resoldering red ones.

I know there has been threads on this in the past..I have noticed replies from @Tuffty in these particular threads. I was wondering as I have seen a few s3 8l sweeper needles on youtube if anyone over the years has figured out or found a way to do this on our cars
@Asim1 please see what @Dohcwp as said in the thread below you will be interested in this one.

I can live with blue lights. So would any mk4 golf cluster fit..or would I be looking for gti or possibly r32

So it can be done excellent I know it's not too hard to change the back-lighting to red as seen this done before just a case of desoldering and resoldering red ones.
Cannot speak for blue to red conversions but having looked into red to white I can only say you need to test before committing as the forward voltage requirements are different across LEDs... converting a red S3 dash to use white LED's resulted in no light at all once a few had been replaced... the white LED's were taken from a known working A6 dash and tested fine before and after... the circuit for the lighting on the S3 dash is clearly set up for a lower fwd voltage than the white and I couldn't find where that was controlled... its probably just a case of changing a resistor value to get the voltage up enough to support the white LED's but I didn't spend any more time on it

The LED's are SMDs so ideally need a SMD heat gun to remove/reflow

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Asim1 and MPH