Grinding Noise

christopher ball

Reaction score
Hi

I recently brought an Audi S3 2017 Facelift (3 months ago) Everything has been fine, until 2 days ago i went to reverse off a car park and i heard a loud grinding noise coming from underneath the car. It sounded like the crunching noise you get when trying to find a gear. It happened again this morning reversing off my drive. Has anybody else had this problem. It only ever happens in reverse but not all the time and just does not sound good. Any help or thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks

Hi Colin
I did check this but found nothing. Its strange as its perfect driving forward just in reverse it happens Thanks for this though mate.

Had it been raining whilst the car was parked, as it could be slight rust on the brake discs causing the noise when reversing.

No mate it was a nice day. It felt like it was right underneath me. Horrible grinding really loud

i have the same issue i think. 2019 s3. only ever happens when reversing, thought i was the only one.

when slowly reversing a really loud grinding/creak noise comes out from somewhere and the car will come to a sudden halt. Scares the **** out of me and my passengers. It happens pretty rarely now but enough to keep me on edge when reversing...

What I've observered when it happens is the brake peddle goes down automatically and the parking sensor goes off (not sure if the sensor goes off every time).

Pretty sure it has something to do with the automatic emergency braking/ABS being triggered? not sure the ABS should be making that sound though.

I took it into the Audi dealer who could not replicate the issue and called it a "characteristic of the car". They told me to try filming when it happens although it happens so inconsistently that it's hard to catch

I'm no mechanic, but i'm pretty sure it's not the transmission and there's no chance it is rusted brake discs or rocks

Last edited:
Apparently this issue is due a malfunction with the Audi Presense. There is a software update to fix it.

Although I still don't know how the presense works, or what part is making the creaking noise.

I'm going to tell the dealer. I'll let you know what happens.