184bhp TDI vs 150bhp engines?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey all
I was talking with another member on here who had a 184bhp engine, exact same car as mine 2.0TDI engine.

I wanted to know what the difference in these engines are?

I have only been quoted 190bhp on a stage 1, but if I have the same engine as a standard 184bhp, why can I not expect to see over 200bhp on a stage 1 if the engine can handle it?

Does it have a different turbo or are the pistons different?

Just wondering what the differences between these 2 engines are, which seem to be in the same year, same size and same diesel.

Thanks all

Reactions: Fatbloke
Hey all
I was talking with another member on here who had a 184bhp engine, exact same car as mine 2.0TDI engine.

I have only been quoted 190bhp on a stage 1, but if I have the same engine as a standard 184bhp, why can I not expect to see over 200bhp on a stage 1 if the engine can handle it?

Just wondering what the differences between these 2 engines are, which seem to be in the same year, same size and same diesel.

Thanks all

That is a good question.

The only difference I can see is bigger brakes and different suspension, and lots seem to be quattro and s-tronic, but cannot see 1 thing different in the engines.

Different ecu and injectors

Been asked before.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the 150 has a smaller turbo, different injectors and a factory ECU map to suit.
To get the extra HP, you’ll need to at least switch the turbo before doing the remap.

Hey all

Thanks all
I have 184 and I can have upgraded to 230 or 235 Local garage guy he said he could do it for £200 but I didn't do it..
My top speed is 140mph managed even 145mph..
The enthusiasts at darkside devs tuning TDi cars even more by replacing literally everything in car
to make TDI car same as S or RS series.. They are expensive tho
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/c/DarksideDevelopments/featured

The only difference I can see is bigger brakes and different suspension, and lots seem to be quattro and s-tronic, but cannot see 1 thing different in the engines.
Everything is just restricted by software... :) u have limiter u cannot rev engine to higher RPMs .. that's all about money

Everything is just restricted by software... :) u have limiter u cannot rev engine to higher RPMs .. that's all about money

Got to be more than just software. If it were just that, then whatever the starting power it could be remapped to the same maximum. That isn't the case, so there will be a (mechanically cheaper) reason also, as in injectors and / or turbo.

Got to be more than just software. If it were just that, then whatever the starting power it could be remapped to the same maximum. That isn't the case, so there will be a (mechanically cheaper) reason also, as in injectors and / or turbo.
Yes just software.. remove engine restrict only... from ECU ... As I said just basic upgrade what all local garages will do for you.. of course u can add dyno test or replace parts but that will be hurting your wallet greatly .. So u get software and u can flash cars for same price as all they do..
They just telling you stories they will do many work no they won't
They will do what guys below in videos did and will charge you crazy money ...

Last edited:
Ah right so there is a different turbo and injectors in the 184
I will be upgrading parts as they go/die
Will stick with the Revo Map for now, maybe do the clutch at the same time due to the extra Torque

Ah right so there is a different turbo and injectors in the 184
I will be upgrading parts as they go/die
Will stick with the Revo Map for now, maybe do the clutch at the same time due to the extra Torque
It's pointless to do it.. Just get nice S3 am saving money and will be doing part ex and additional money.. I want S3 pre facelift or facelift.. Both great

Kind of agree. I test drove a 184ps seat leon a few years back, and even in standard form it was lighting the front wheels up in 3rd gear in the dry if the steering was slightly off straight.

The 184bhp.wkth Quattro is brilliant.

Definitely required to avoid wheel spinning with the power.

My 2p worth.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ormesome and Damo S
Breaking traction because there is too much torque for front wheel drive to handle.

Breaking traction because there is too much torque for front wheel drive to handle.
Sometimes when I brake but car is on 3rd gear going to 2nd or 1st car slightly stumble or dither .. but not when braking from faster speed and sudden

No, under acceleration it causes it to break traction. I had a remapped focus 2.0 TDCI a few years back and that was a handful. When the turbo kicked in it would spin the front wheels up in 4th gear in the wet.

Yeah thats what I am worried about Damo S as Revo have said the extra torque will cause the wheels to spin so need to be careful.
Unsure if they can custom map it to lower the torque and keep the high gains in the BHP, but not sure how that works, maybe they have to be increased together, but this would be my first map.

I think you'd need a custom tune for that, i.e. boost level being variable based on rpm. That's assuming the ECU has that capability.
You can always control it with your right foot but you probably wouldn't :)

The 184bhp.wkth Quattro is brilliant.

Definitely required to avoid wheel spinning with the power.

My 2p worth.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Agree with this. My Q2 has the 190bhp 2.0tdi engine with Quattro, no spinning the wheels and the acceleration is great. Personally wouldn’t want that power with no Quattro but I’m sure it’s ok, just have to not floor it as often. Depends on your climate too, here in Switzerland it’s very rare to see an Audi without Quattro due to the snow.