Connecting battery with ignition on

Rjw76

Reaction score
So, in inadvertently left the ignition on when reconnecting my battery today (for some reason I’d turned the key while the battery was out). What’s the likelihood that I’ve caused damage to anything? I did have a few warning alarms - Start/stop, Tyre pressure monitoring, ESP not available, but all of those cleared after a short drive and a couple of times starting the engine.

Is there a chance I could have damaged anything? This is going to sound crazy but my auto fold mirrors don’t open/close at exactly the same speed (only a split second difference)... I’ve no idea whether or not they did before today, but now I’ve noticed it I’m getting paranoid that I might have affected that?! And anything else I haven’t yet noticed!

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. The errors you noted would have happened anyway following a battery disconnect.

Yeah, my concern is if I could have done some damage the the electrical/computer system that isn't immediately obvious. (The point about the mirrors is that they work, but I'm now paranoid that I've affected their performance)... although logically, I can't imagine I did!

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. The errors you noted would have happened anyway following a battery disconnect.
I hoped that would be the case, but I with it being the first time I've disconnected the battery, I had nothing to compare it to.

If ever working on the Airbag system the recommendation, in the workshop manual, is actually to reconnect the battery with the ignition on, just in case an airbag would go off.

So should be ok.

My mirrors are the same and I have a A5 Coupe loner at the moment and it is the same, drivers mirror slower than the passenger one.

If ever working on the Airbag system the recommendation, in the workshop manual, is actually to reconnect the battery with the ignition on, just in case an airbag would go off.

So should be ok.

My mirrors are the same and I have a A5 Coupe loner at the moment and it is the same, drivers mirror slower than the passenger one.
Ah, that's really interesting... how does reconnecting with the ignition on affect the airbag?

Anyway, reassuring to know that all, thanks very much.

It's to insure that you aren't sitting in the car when you first turn on the ignition, after the battery has been disconnected, just in case an airbag or seat belt tensioner accidentally goes off.

Airbag

Ok, that all makes sense then. I hadn't seen that in the manual. Thanks again.

So, in inadvertently left the ignition on when reconnecting my battery today (for some reason I’d turned the key while the battery was out). What’s the likelihood that I’ve caused damage to anything? I did have a few warning alarms - Start/stop, Tyre pressure monitoring, ESP not available, but all of those cleared after a short drive and a couple of times starting the engine.

Is there a chance I could have damaged anything? This is going to sound crazy but my auto fold mirrors don’t open/close at exactly the same speed (only a split second difference)... I’ve no idea whether or not they did before today, but now I’ve noticed it I’m getting paranoid that I might have affected that?! And anything else I haven’t yet noticed!
It's normal with fold mirrors sometimes one is very tiny late next fold will be ok had it only once.. There is basically motor and if there is dirt or little rust it will slower for half sec..
Fold it and unfold few times should be fine..

It's normal with fold mirrors sometimes one is very tiny late next fold will be ok had it only once.. There is basically motor and if there is dirt or little rust it will slower for half sec..
Fold it and unfold few times should be fine..
That did occur to me, however the folding mirrors are a brand new retrofit, hence my paranoia!

That did occur to me, however the folding mirrors are a brand new retrofit, hence my paranoia!
Oh if it is retrofit, then check if mirrors are same part numbers then some motor will be slower and some faster so better they are same ... I used to go to car wash so often so I guess I had bit more moisture and therefore created rust but I 10 times folded and unfolded them and since then ok sometime mine side squeak little bit hah yeah since 2015 nobody checked it so I might check and put some grease on motor gears some point..

Oh if it is retrofit, then check if mirrors are same part numbers then some motor will be slower and some faster so better they are same ... I used to go to car wash so often so I guess I had bit more moisture and therefore created rust but I 10 times folded and unfolded them and since then ok sometime mine side squeak little bit hah yeah since 2015 nobody checked it so I might check and put some grease on motor gears some point..
It's one of those things that I could have gone for years without noticing... but now I have noticed... grrrrr !

It's one of those things that I could have gone for years without noticing... but now I have noticed... grrrrr !
So grab mirror into hands which is faster one and when they unfolding hold it tight that it won't move gear in motor might skip one and it will matches the slower one :D