Manual Tiptronic seems to stick

Donnythemanny

Reaction score
First time owner of 50 TDi with auto box so bear with me. I am stationary and select manual. If I work the paddles everything is fine. But if I don't the car sometimes ( not always ) sticks in first and before I know it I am doing 4000 rpm in first frantically trying to change up on the paddles with maybe the paddles at 6 and 12 o'clock positions when I turn. Other times I get to fifth in manual, leave it and again have to sometimes paddle up to higher gears and it will settle into 'D' mode. No similar problems in 'D' or 'S' mode.
I find it hard to believe the car will wind itself so far up in first in manual with no intervention from me. All this in individual mode.
Am I doing something wrong here, do I have to nurse the car up through all the gears , all the time if I am in M mode? 4000 rpm in first is not a good experience, borderline dangerous if I am turning, feels like I have lost control.

Manual mode is exactly that. You control the gears with either the paddels of the gear selector. If you go into manual mode with the paddles then after a period of no interaction it goes back to Drive or Sport. If you use the gear selector then it stays there until you move it back to the Drive/Sport side