Flashing Immob Light of Death . . .

fergusd

Reaction score
Girlfriends R plate A3 has developed the flashing immobiliser light of death on occasion, I removed the steering wheel cowl and fiddles with the reader coil connector which was loose, but this hasn't cured it so have sourced a new ign barrel and reader coil unit . . . which comes with 2 new keys of course.

Can I reprogram the ECU/Immob to run with these keys using VAG-COM ?

Thanks

Fd

Yes, the keys should have come with a 4 or 7 digit 'Secret Key Code'.

If your keys came with the 4 digit SKC it will be easy.

If they came with the 7 digit SKC (which is an encrypted 4 digit SKC) you will need extra information to input into vagcom.

4 digit SKC

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/key-matching-4digit.html

7 digit SKC

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/key-matching.html

However, if you still have your old remotes you can bypass all the SKC mess, and simply swap the immob capsules from your old remotes (small glass capsule inside key part) into your new remotes, and you are good to go.

Your static immob capsule is also clonable at any good auto locksmith.

flip key immob location
TransponderLocation.jpg

even easier, just swap the blade part of the key over.

you mean the new keys ?

yeah - there's something attached to them which must be the code you mention . . .

So it's a 7 digit code - will the dealer give out this info ?

Fd

If he swaps the blade part, his key wont fit the new ignition barrel.

You will have two different locks on the car, but if you use the remote for the doors, it wont present a problem.

Do you really need a new ignition barrel?

The new reader coil should do the trick?

To use the 7 digit SKC you also need the workshop code and importer number, and the date the SKC was generated.

These may be with the 7 digit SKC, otherwise visit dealer.

If you dont have your SKC, use vagcom to find your 14 digit Immobilizer ID, and take it to the dealer.

Hi could I get a step-by-step guide as to how I go about fixing this problem because mine intermittently does it too and Audi wanted to charge me £110 p/h labour just to look at it and then fixing it is extra + parts! (Beer in it for anyone who does it and lives near me!)

thanks gents, there's a friendly face at the stealership so I'll see what he wreckommends - he knows I don't do dealers apart from parts . . .

If I could get the reader coil off the ign barrel without damaging it then I'd just change that . . . without risking damage I'm not sure how to do that - but it does seem likely it's just press fitted on and would come off without too much hassle . . .

It not seems that only one of the two sets of keys we got with the car actually work in the ignition in any case so perhaps just changing the barrell and definately having two sets of working keys (albeit not the same as the door keys) may be the best solution . . .

There are two numbers on the wee tab that is ziptied onto the new keys, one must be the 7 digit number and the other is much longer . . . perhaps that is also relevant. I'll ask at the stealership tomorrow if I can find the time.

thanks again for the help I'll update when I know more.

Fd

inigoj said:
If he swaps the blade part, his key wont fit the new ignition barrel.

why not? just put the new blade on the old keyfob!

That would work (misinterpreted your earlier statement, doh!)

I think it is a mistake to have different locks on the car, it will eventually present problems.