02 A6 drivers door handle

fergusd

Reaction score
Drivers door handle on my A6 seems not to be operating the latch mechanism correctly - sometimes the latch doesn't operate until you pull the handle all the way to it's stop, sometimes it seems ok . . . the inner door handle works normally all the time, is this a common issue . . . before I pull the trim off the door and see what's wrong . . . ?

Cheers

Fd

Never seen it before and Ive had 3 A6's now.

Its an easy job to wip off the interior door card and see whats going on.

Once you have it off also check to see the condition of the window carriers.

If they look as if they are split change them whilst you are there.

The carriers are plastic oblong things, about 4cm x 3cm which the stud on the steel cable sits in. One either side.

They tend to crack or break and you get uneven window closing, or the window goes up and then down again on its own

Simon

got the same problem on my a6 found if you push the door in then the handle works ok

i've got the same problem seems worse in hot weather, but i'm not too worried over the winter the handles are going!
To be replaced by Electric poppers.

Did you get the handle issue fixed ?

Got the same problem !

Yes it was a new lock/latch mechanism, got one from a breaker as my car's a high miler so alot of use on drivers door.

Now fixed for about £15

Try ebay or online breakers.

Hi people.

I'm getting exactly the same problem here. You say replacing the lock mechanism fixes it. What is the lock mechanism and which part of the door is it? How do I take it apart, is it just screwed in etc...?

Sorry, I am a complete novice, if someone can explain in detail I would be most grateful.

Thanks

It's the lock latch mechanism, bolts in the door with 3 torx bits, u need to remove the door card. not too bader job, bit fiddly, take an hour or so.

Cheers mate. Is there any parts shop you can recommend? I don’t want to go to Audi to get it. I don’t know where I can get car bits from other than the main dealers (I’m not stupid just a complete car repairing novice). I know some go to breakers but I’d rather buy new.

I went to Audi yesterday as I could not open the door initially. The techy looked at it, shook his head and said “I will need to saw it out mate. It’s an MOT failure as well if you can’t open the door. I’ll probably end up scratching the paint work as well”. As you can imagine the confidence I got from this.

I told someone I know about it and he said “Push the door in before lifting the handle, then lift the handle”. Guess what, the door opened. Since greasing the lock latch I can open the door fine from inside the car but I still have to push the door towards the car before lifting the handle to open the door from the outside.

Does this mean I still need a new lock latch or is there something I can adjust to make the outside door handle work better?

Audi also quoted me £400 for an auto gearbox oil change. Getting done for £90 at an independent. Main dealers are a joke.

You will still need a new latch mechanism, thats what i changed, been fine ever since.

I used online breakers (cos i'm a student and stealer parts prices are a joke!), do a search on google, enter car details etc and wait for the quotes to roll in.

Also try ebay for A6's breaking and email them asking for the part, go for a low mileage one, but i got mine without knowing the lileage for £35 it does the job.