Instruments Dimming Issue

TSM

Reaction score
Audi 8P Sportback 2005

Recently my clocks have started to play up during the day, the DIS would go super bright then dim for little to no reason. I am aware there is a light sensor.
Tonight I went to the car and even with headlights off (I do not have AUTO) the clocks were all illuminated when the car is turned on. Ive checked and I had 3 in the last part of the coding to allow for dimming. Ive changed it now so its off all the time until headlights are turned on.
If I turn on the headlights then try and use the dimming switch it has little effect.

Using VCDS to check the cluster photocell ive noted that it never goes below 20% even when I cover it up, also Terminal 58d range is between 30-50% and when I disconnect the dimmer it stays at 30%.

Im thinking two things, the photocell is not going right down when dark meaning it remains all partialy illuminated and maybe there is some issue at Terminal 58d causing high resistance for some reason.

Is it possible for someone to pull these values from their car when its dark to compare.

I seem to still have this issue without being able to resolve the issue.

Ive checked VCDS and now the photocell in the cluster always says its 90-100% brightness even when completely covered up.
Has anyone experienced the cluster sensor failing?

I saw that the cluster is made up of two parts, a board and the main front part, is the immo part on the smaller board? If I was thinking if I could replace the front part of the cluster without needing any recoding.

Audi 8P Sportback 2005

Recently my clocks have started to play up during the day, the DIS would go super bright then dim for little to no reason. I am aware there is a light sensor.
Tonight I went to the car and even with headlights off (I do not have AUTO) the clocks were all illuminated when the car is turned on. Ive checked and I had 3 in the last part of the coding to allow for dimming. Ive changed it now so its off all the time until headlights are turned on.
If I turn on the headlights then try and use the dimming switch it has little effect.

Using VCDS to check the cluster photocell ive noted that it never goes below 20% even when I cover it up, also Terminal 58d range is between 30-50% and when I disconnect the dimmer it stays at 30%.

Im thinking two things, the photocell is not going right down when dark meaning it remains all partialy illuminated and maybe there is some issue at Terminal 58d causing high resistance for some reason.

Is it possible for someone to pull these values from their car when its dark to compare.

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad sorder in the dimmer switch board. You can open it and redo the soldering. Easy DIY.

Ive replaced that module and it was the same issue, even with it disconnected it still reads 100%.
It should not affect the photocell sensor value shown on VCDS in the cluster though as its a calculation of the two according to the service docs and done in the BCM module.