3.0tdi turbo leaking

kieran lloyd

Reaction score
I have been getting a flashing glow plug light and into limp mode and have noticed heavy oil leak all round the turbo

Would that be the egr blocked ?

I'll put pictures up shortly

Please see attached photos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200904-222054_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-222054_Video Player.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 365
  • Screenshot_20200904-222050_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-222050_Video Player.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20200904-222431_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-222431_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • Screenshot_20200904-222448_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-222448_Video Player.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 205
I have been getting a flashing glow plug light and into limp mode and have noticed heavy oil leak all round the turbo

I’d go for variable vains inside turbo mi self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d go for variable vains inside turbo mi self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case if the turbo us as accessible as the 2.0tdi undo the EGR cooler pipe and Mr Muscle the ***** out if it. And do it regularly as preventative maintenance.
Saves on the cost of a new turbo.

I have seen a few videos on how to remove the turbo and on the 3.0tdi they are at the top of engine so look pretty easy to remove.

As there is so much build up I'm going to remove it and clean it all up as much as possible.

With the mr muscle I'm assuming that only can be used on exhaust side of turbo.

What could I use on the intake side of turbo to clean?

Yes Mr Muscle just for the exhaust side, on cast iron not ally. Look on YouTube for a video of a guy doing g it on an A3.
Different layout I know, but you'll get the idea.
Gunk then carb cleaner should clean up the intake side, if you can get into it.
Then take if for a good "Italian tune up".

If you happen to find your turbo is goosed after inspecting it, instead of getting a new turbo, go online and look at turbo cassette's for your engine model, I recently had one of the turbos on our 2lt BPW blowing blue smoke, so instead of getting a new one I bought a cassette at £40 2 yr guarantee, stripped the turbo down and fitted it within an hour, refitted the turbo and the cars been great.

Do you do a lot of short journeys without the turbo heating up too much?

If you happen to find your turbo is goosed after inspecting it, instead of getting a new turbo, go online and look at turbo cassette's for your engine model, I recently had one of the turbos on our 2lt BPW blowing blue smoke, so instead of getting a new one I bought a cassette at £40 2 yr guarantee, stripped the turbo down and fitted it within an hour, refitted the turbo and the cars been great.

What is a turbo cassette?

I asked my mechanic that very question when he told me, it's the core inside the housing. He said he's been buying them for years for all makes of cars and replacing the innards rather than buy a full new turbo, and hence charge the customer less.....

Okay thanks guys, I will update this thread once I have cleaned it all up etc. Not sure when I will get a chance to do it anytime soon