Squealing drive belt + metal shavings

TheRunningMan

Reaction score
Hi, as above, my drive belt is starting to squeal more and more and I've just noticed a fair bit of alloy type shavings in the engine bay concentrated in that area. I'm assuming it will be either a failing tensioner, pulley wheel or the alternator etc itself. I can't see anything visibly to determine what it is and the belt runs true. Before I dig any deeper is there one component that's more commonly known to cause this? I did briefly slacken off the belt to try the alternator pulley and that felt ok, not seized and no play in it. I was thinking the tensioner failing would cause the belt to slip but could it account for the metal shavings?

It's the cheapest place to start and the most likely...relatively easy to do yourself mate, only took me a few hours going steady. If you opt to change it, be careful with the mounting bolts as one of mine had been threaded.

On closer inspection it appears to be the alternator clutch pulley that's failed. The outer part is locked in both directions along with all the red dust. I've ordered a replacement pulley and the tools needed to remove it. Hopefully it won't be seized and will be a straightforward swap. I'll update this thread in a few days incase it's of any use to someone in the future.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
So the car is now sorted. Removing the pulley wheel was slightly more involved than I hoped as it was seized on and I couldn't loosen it with hand tools while the alternator was still on the car. I removed it and luckily a mate had an impact wrench which had it off in seconds. As can be seen in the pic the old pulley was knackered. The metal shavings were from where the pulley wheel wasn't running true and it had started rubbing on the alternator casing. Put back together and all running well now.

Attachments

• _20201016_211857.JPG
    _20201016_211857.JPG
    801.7 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: hydro s3