Audi S3 8P 2007 Pink Xenon Bulb!

Kayobong

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi people, came out of work tonight, turned on the car and started driving home when one side of the road started looking suspiciously pink. When I arrived home, I got out to check the headlights to find that one of my bulbs has turned pink! I couldn't capture this on camera as it's difficult to focus on the light at night. Does anyone know if the bulb is likely to be the issue or if it could be something more sinister like the ballast?

Also seem to be getting mixed results whether the bulb is D1s or D2s so if anyone could clarify that would be appreciated.

Cheers again folks.

Weird update, went for a short journey and when I got home I tried to start the car and it did not turn over. It was if the battery suddenly died. The battery was tested not long ago and was fine so I'm thinking alternator failure?

Try charging the battery and take it from there. You need to scan the car for faults.
If you need to take out the headlight to change components the bumper needs to come off.

Reactions: Kayobong
Try charging the battery and take it from there. You need to scan the car for faults.
If you need to take out the headlight to change components the bumper needs to come off.

I jump started the car and tested the battery with a multimeter whilst it was running. It was at 14v so at least I know it’s not the alternator. I’ve ordered a new battery and I’m going to order a set of bulbs too. There didn’t seem to be any fault codes after the battery was charged at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above, if you can get a scan then that would be great!

Sometimes a pink bulb like that can mean a bad ballast. The only way to check that is switching the bulbs over from one side to another and see if the pink bulb remains on the original side (ballast problem) or goes to the other side (bulb problem) but I know it's not as simple as that what with removing the bumper!

Let us know how you get on :icon thumright:

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
As above, if you can get a scan then that would be great!

Sometimes a pink bulb like that can mean a bad ballast. The only way to check that is switching the bulbs over from one side to another and see if the pink bulb remains on the original side (ballast problem) or goes to the other side (bulb problem) but I know it's not as simple as that what with removing the bumper!

Let us know how you get on :icon thumright:

The bulb has fully gone out now, I think the pink hue was just a final phase of a the bulb dying. I’ve purchased two new OSRAM 6000k bulbs so hopefully they’ll give me a better view at night too! Here’s hoping it’s not the ballast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes, fingers crossed! It sounds like it could be the bulb which is good news! I think these ballasts from factory are generally very good and should last!

Keep us updated with the new bulbs when they arrive! 6000k are my go to. I have Morimoto 6000k with the clear lens projector and they are stunning so the Osram will be amazing!

Reactions: Kayobong