2020 Audi S3 8v Blown 2 Turbo

RubenS3

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I have a brand new S3 and put a APR Stage 2 with all the hardware from them such as Intake, intercooler, muffler delete, turbo inlet, downpipe, catback, ngk 9 plugs, coils packs and a few more.

My factory OEM Is38 blew up after 500km of using and was replaced with a brand new is38 874p revision and blew up after only 50km of using. The 2nd turbo got replaced by warranty and dont know if i should install this 874p or buy a HPA oem+ that says it fits the problem of blown turbos.

What you guys recomend ?

Has there been any investigation into why the turbo is blowing/ how it’s blowing etc?
Think you should figure it out first before putting another one on. likely culprit is normally oil starvation or over heating as there isn’t much to a turbo

Yes we did check all the oil and coolant lines. Since de car is right now 1000km old and 2020 model we only registered a few misfires on multiple cylinders and replace sparks plugs and coils. Recently the misfires are gone and a last error came up as to boost pressure not met.

The first turbo and second turbo blow up at WOT and close to 6200 rpm, the same range as the misfires.

There is obviously something wrong with your mods. Blowing 2 turbos is not normal and I would not install another one until you figure out why the 2 blew in the first place.
How on earth are Audi replacing turbos with all those mods?

APR are good maps, so unless they messed the map up, or there is something wrong with one of the mods and I dont know.

Unless your turbos went before the mods.

Ive read a lot about stage 2 pushing too much the oem is38 and making the shaft to break.
Ive also read a lot about the revisions of the is38.

Dont know exactly what it could be.

Why is it misfiring? Poor fuel? Wrong map?
The misfires could be the cause as the pressure/back pressure on the turbo is a bit too much for it to handle. Similar effect to anti-lag, exhaust pops and bang in the map can backfire and blow the cat.

Well, it could be bad fuel since here in colombia is really bad. Anyways I changed the sparks and coil packs and no misfires since then. The last error on vcds was boos pressure not met, intermitent.

The map was the Stage 2 High torque for RON 95 with pops and bangs testfile.

Do you think it could be something related to this setup ?

Well, it could be bad fuel since here in colombia is really bad. Anyways I changed the sparks and coil packs and no misfires since then. The last error on vcds was boos pressure not met, intermitent.

The map was the Stage 2 High torque for RON 95 with pops and bangs testfile.

Do you think it could be something related to this setup ?

95 Ron on a high boost car could be your problem. High chance of pre-ignition which will make the ecu ****** timing. Would try some octane booster, that should help a bit.
Take the pops and bangs map out as other than sounding cool it doesn’t provide performance enhancement and see if that helps with the next turbo.

I will try that then !! Do you think the high torque should be lowered to med or low torque file ?

I will try that then !! Do you think the high torque should be lowered to med or low torque file ?

not sure what the difference is but I would guess that’s more an issue for the gearbox/drivetrain longevity than turbo problems.

Yes, for that i have APR TCU upgrade software.

In other hand, im thinking about a HPA OEM+ IS38 turbo since they say that they already fixed the many of the issues that make the turbo blow.

I also read that 874P revision is the latest and should give no problems with what I currently have.

Why not get an RS3 rather than blowing up your S3

or just buy a fast car out of the block

If you have killed 2 turbo’s already that tells me the map is asking too much and the turbo isn’t up to the job.

why not go back to stock power and just use the car as intended?

Turbo’s aint cheap

Reactions: Andy F
Sounds like its trying to generate too much boost and breaking the shaft. I dont know what "boost pressure not met" means but that would imply there is an issue in that area somewhere. (leak, although you'd probably hear that, wastegate issue, is the stock dump valve failing to open on gear change so the back pressure is killing the turbo). Do you know what boost pressure the map takes it up to?
Honestly, unless you get to the bottom of the cause you will probably just keep killing turbos unless you revert back to the stock map.