Facelift Nano grey with black additions.

Ian Wateridge

Reaction score
Looking to make some subtle changes to my Nano grey F/L. Think I’ve decided on a black grill and splitter but undecided on black side skirts and black rings/ badge on the rear! Can anyone share any pictures/ experiences of what they’ve done?
Planning on using the ‘Ultimate Customs’ grill and Maxton splitter but read varying reports on Maxton quality. Any experience or suggestions of alternative manufacturers?
Many thanks.

Black optics side mirror covers and RS spoiler look nice and add a nice touch. I have some for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Looking to make some subtle changes to my Nano grey F/L. Think I’ve decided on a black grill and splitter but undecided on black side skirts and black rings/ badge on the rear! Can anyone share any pictures/ experiences of what they’ve done?
Planning on using the ‘Ultimate Customs’ grill and Maxton splitter but read varying reports on Maxton quality. Any experience or suggestions of alternative manufacturers?
Many thanks.

Nano Grey is my favourite colour, but looks pants with chrome. So if you have the chrome trim, I would do a full dechrome to Black Edition spec.

Mixing black badges and still having chrome looks a bit Blue Peter.

Black optics side mirror covers and RS spoiler look nice and add a nice touch. I have some for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.
Ok thanks. I’m looking to go gloss black so if that’s what either of them are I’d be interested.

Nano Grey is my favourite colour, but looks pants with chrome. So if you have the chrome trim, I would do a full dechrome to Black Edition spec.

Mixing black badges and still having chrome looks a bit Blue Peter.
Yeah it’s a toughy that’s why I’m trying to see pics of what others have done. I’m already sold on changing the front end but looking to see different ideas on side skirts and rear ends! Also trying to get black chrome exhaust tips but they don’t seem to exist!

Yeah it’s a toughy that’s why I’m trying to see pics of what others have done. I’m already sold on changing the front end but looking to see different ideas on side skirts and rear ends! Also trying to get black chrome exhaust tips but they don’t seem to exist!

Just paint or powder coat the exhaust tips.

Nano Grey is a rare colour, you may find the Google image search much more fruitful than asking on here.

Not sure why you are changing the skirts, the would, imo, look pig ugly painting the skits black.

You've be better adding a lower line kit to fo with the front splitter.

AETV24487508 1

Just paint or powder coat the exhaust tips.

Nano Grey is a rare colour, you may find the Google image search much more fruitful than asking on here.

Not sure why you are changing the skirts, the would, imo, look pig ugly painting the skits black.

You've be better adding a lower line kit to fo with the front splitter.

View attachment 211109
I’ve yet to see powder coated or painted tips that stand the test of time but it’s beginning to look like the only option!
Your image is exactly what I was looking for, to see what the black side skirts look like attached to the Nano grey! Is that a Maxton kit? Had no intention of changing the colour of the standard sill extensions!
Have you got black rings and badge on the rear?
Thanks for your time!

I’ve yet to see powder coated or painted tips that stand the test of time but it’s beginning to look like the only option!
Your image is exactly what I was looking for, to see what the black side skirts look like attached to the Nano grey! Is that a Maxton kit? Had no intention of changing the colour of the standard sill extensions!
Have you got black rings and badge on the rear?
Thanks for your time!

I think you used the wrong phrasing, the skirt is the skirt, the bit you were referencing was the lower line trim kit. Some call it a sill extension..Just remember to get the full kit including the rear bumper widgets. Ive seen so many people just with the front splitter and sill extentions and it looks incomplete and pretty naff.

No idea about the manufacturer, its not my car - Google search

I have genuine Audi black badges on my Daytona Grey Saloon Black Edition

I wouldnt use any Black badges or black splitters on a car with chrome window trim/grill though, I'd concentrate on sorting that first personally (if yours has)

I think you used the wrong phrasing, the skirt is the skirt, the bit you were referencing was the lower line trim kit. Some call it a sill extension..Just remember to get the full kit including the rear bumper widgets. Ive seen so many people just with the front splitter and sill extentions and it looks incomplete and pretty naff.

No idea about the manufacturer, its not my car - Google search

I have genuine Audi black badges on my Daytona Grey Saloon Black Edition

I wouldnt use any Black badges or black splitters on a car with chrome window trim/grill though, I'd concentrate on sorting that first personally (if yours has)

No I think different people may call them different things but as you can see from the attachment the tuning companies call them side skirts. Thanks for your input though.

Attachments

• 8D432787-83B8-49A3-99CF-0AE1B3DB5B66.jpeg
    8D432787-83B8-49A3-99CF-0AE1B3DB5B66.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 240
No I think different people may call them different things but as you can see from the attachment the tuning companies call them side skirts. Thanks for your input though.

No, that company calls them 'side skirt splitters', but they aren't a splitter, however it would help Google search results for those looking for these type of things.

Side skirts are what Audi fitted already, the 'skirt' is the painted plastic trim that goes over the sill.

The official term, as they came out first for the JDM Japanese scene in the 90's was a Lower Line Trim Kit. Had one for my Subaru twenty years ago almost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I think that as the main 3 companies producing Audi tuning parts, Rieger, Xenonz and Maxton, all call them side skirts I’ll stick with it. No search has yet shown me a picture of what I already have on my car and other responses to this and Facebook posts know exactly what I mean so I guess terminology has changed.

Thanks for the info. I think that as the main 3 companies producing Audi tuning parts, Rieger, Xenonz and Maxton, all call them side skirts I’ll stick with it. No search has yet shown me a picture of what I already have on my car and other responses to this and Facebook posts know exactly what I mean so I guess terminology has changed.

Terminology hasn't changed, a side skirt is still a skirt, which is already fitted to your car by Audi.

The extension you are wanting are called something else. However in the day and age of how search engine algorithms work, many companies will use phrasing that is close to and in and around the part they are selling to ensure they can be found amongst the depths of cyberspace.

Reiger call them 'Side Skirt Extensions' or 'Side skirt fins' being that they arent a side skirt, and are an extension to the skirt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-...274459354295?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Maxton call them 'Side Skirt Splitters'

https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=audi a3

Xenonz call them 'Side Skirt Extensions'

https://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p1226/Audi-A3-S3-8V-2012-2018-FRP-side-skirts-extensions.html

Carenhancesments call them a 'side skirt diffuser'

https://www.carenhancementsuk.co.uk/products/side-skirts-diffusers-audi-s3-8v-a3-8v-sline-3-door

Here is an example of a Reiger SIDE SKIRT , being that its a side skirt not a side skirt extension

S

Thanks for the links, I’d seen them all when I searched for ‘side skirts’! Happy to bow to your superior knowledge but in light of its irrelevance to this post in as much as fortunately, or by chance, everyone else knew what I was talking about, I now have sufficient information and no further communication required.

Thanks for the links, I’d seen them all when I searched for ‘side skirts’! Happy to bow to your superior knowledge but in light of its irrelevance to this post in as much as fortunately, or by chance, everyone else knew what I was talking about, I now have sufficient information and no further communication required.

No need to bow, just a thank you is fine.

You will find the parts using that terminology as they are elements of the a side skirt as an extension, hence comment over search engines, hence the variations of the name like Splitters, diffusers etc. Using the correct terminology will probably help you find specifically the items and pictures you originally were looking for which you needed help to obtain, being that Google searching probably wasn't being too fruitfal, hence the relevance to the post.

I am glad the forum has been of use to you today.

FYI - a thread on an open forum is for public/member debate, you do not get to choose whether 'further communication' happens or not.

You were given help and advice and links, yet your not happy. What is your issue? No further communication required? Really? Well, here is how it is, if your not happy with the help and advice you were freely given on the forum, then go do your own research and see how well you get on. Hope that clears up your report.

I own a nano grey with the oem black optics with black mirror caps. Items added: a RS3-look grille, a S3-look rear diffuser, 89 mm satin black quad exhaust tips, black rings on the hatch, black/diamond cut alloys. Check out my instagram for more pictures.

I thought of adding some front and side splitters but I didn't see side splitters that would follow the shape of the side skirts as close as they follow those of a saloon or a RS3 yet.
AooA calliper cover 6
With RS6 style wheels 3

Reactions: TDI-line, Sandra and Dubjam
I own a nano grey with the oem black optics with black mirror caps. Items added: a RS3-look grille, a S3-look rear diffuser, 89 mm satin black quad exhaust tips, black rings on the hatch, black/diamond cut alloys. Check out my instagram for more pictures.

I thought of adding some front and side splitters but I didn't see side splitters that would follow the shape of the side skirts as close as they follow those of a saloon or a RS3 yet.
View attachment 211127 View attachment 211128

How are you getting on with those badass wheels dude? comfort ok?

How are you getting on with those badass wheels dude? comfort ok?
The comfort is the same as on all other 19" wheels. I don't notice any difference between these wheels and 18" winter wheels.

The comfort is the same as on all other 19" wheels. I don't notice any difference between these wheels and 18" winter wheels.

I wish I had your spine, or roads! I definitely notice the difference on 19" over 18's in the UK... Im changing the dampers shortly to try and make it bearable..otherwise they will be going sadly

I wish I had your spine, or roads! I definitely notice the difference on 19" over 18's in the UK... Im changing the dampers shortly to try and make it bearable..otherwise they will be going sadly
It depends on your setup. What springs/dampers do you have? What tyres?
I'm in my very late forties and my back is quite sensitive, but Eibach Pro springs with stock dampers don't feel much different from the stock sport suspension. Any lower than that or any "performance" dampers can ruin your ride. I tried VWR springs that are similar to the Eibach Sportlines and I tried Bilstein B4 and B8 dampers. The ride was too firm and my back hated it. MSS kits was great though. And I always use comfortable/soft tyres (Assy3 or 5 or dunlop sport maxx rt2 are my choice). Bad/firm tyres will ruin your ride quality very fast.

Reactions: Dubjam
It depends on your setup. What springs/dampers do you have? What tyres?
I'm in my very late forties and my back is quite sensitive, but Eibach Pro springs with stock dampers don't feel much different from the stock sport suspension. Any lower than that or any "performance" dampers can ruin your ride. I tried VWR springs that are similar to the Eibach Sportlines and I tried Bilstein B4 and B8 dampers. The ride was too firm and my back hated it. MSS kits was great though. And I always use comfortable/soft tyres (Assy3 or 5 or dunlop sport maxx rt2 are my choice). Bad/firm tyres will ruin your ride quality very fast.

I use Avon ZR7's which are up there on the comfort levels.

I have Eibach Pro's, which I found a tiny bit more comfortable than the stock S-Line springs..looking at changing to Koni FSD dampers soon as I figured the Bilsteins would be too harsh for me. The FSD's seem to be the best available for a comfort type ride. Never thought to try MSS's, cost was pretty high for just a spring.

In South London there are more potholes and speed humps than people.

So you use standard dampers and MSS springs?

I use standard dampers and Eibach pro springs. I had a set of rear MSS springs on my old A3 8PA and loved them. I'm not sure they would fit the MQB A3.

I use standard dampers and Eibach pro springs. I had a set of rear MSS springs on my old A3 8PA and loved them. I'm not sure they would fit the MQB A3.

I think location must be at play somewhat..standard shocks and Eibach Pro on 19's are a killer for me. Granted my rear shocks are brand new, and the fronts on 25k, and the rears are the most aggressive, but its not working for me currently.

Reading on the BMW forum regarding wheel weight and comfort. I am thinking the S3 forged wheel I am also using is contributing to the feeling everything ripple in the road because of their weight (9.5kg as opposed to the standard 18's which come on around 13.5kg - more mass should add to comfort of the small bumps). So I plan to chance to a set of 19" V Spokes that weigh in around 13kg, and see if there is any difference.