Boost Gauge Vent Install [Pic Heavy]

phateuk

Reaction score
So, since I put pics up of my Boost Gauge Air Vent on the "What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week" I've had a few PMs asking for details on what parts I used, so thought I'd try and write up a guide on how I went about it.

Parts Needed:

• Gauge
I went for a Turbosmart TS-0101-2023 Boost Gauge, 0-30 psi, 52 mm - Amazon link here. I looked at the Defi gauges but they were 4x the price of this one and I don't think it's worth it based on how well this one performs so far.
The dial is fast, and the boost pressure is bang on what it should be so I'm happy.

As this is a vac-line boost and not an OBD2 one, you'll need a boost tap:

• Boost Tap
https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/ho...itting-kit-for-vw-and-audi-20-litre-tfsi.html

BCS fitted mine as part of the Powervalve exhaust but that's the one they used, super easy to fit onto the right hand side of the inlet manifold and then clip the PCV hose back on. You then fit one of those small cylinders into it (remove the plug first with an Allen key) and that's what your hose connects to (see photo). There are 2 taps off mine as it goes to the exhaust valve, but you'll only have 1.

• Spare Air Vent (Optional)
You want a spare air vent as well most likely so you can mess with it and not ruin your existing one. Assuming you're fitting to an S3 like mine get one of these:

Part number - 8p0820901c

If yours is black and not silver then the part number is 8P0820901A. Plenty of those on Ebay also for about £10-15.

Take the air vent apart and remove all the fins and the back plate so that it's empty. Taking the air vent apart is a little tricky, I found a guide for an Audi TT, it's identical to the A3/S3 air vents and helped massively:

http://www.p3cars.com/content/pdf/a3tt-vent.pdf

• Other Misc Parts:
- Vac Line (the gauge does come with some but it's pretty thin and maybe not long enough. I had some much better stuff BCS gave me that is black and much thicker, so maybe consider getting some better stuff.
- Misc electrical wire and connectors, electrical tape - Depends how you're going to wire this up, but you'll need a few feet of insulated electrical wire to connect the gauge to power and earth. A few misc connectors would help here also. B&Q sell all this sort of stuff, I got a pack of ring connectors (for the earth bolt) and some crimp male/females for making the extension cables.
- Socket set for removing the glove box.

Installation:
  • Assemble your gauge into your air vent:
The turbo gauge comes with a mounting bracket which fits almost perfectly inside the air vent once all the other parts are removed from it. So I just lined it up and used a hot glue gun to fix it in place, and then just put a single layer of black electrical tape around the edge of the gauge/plastic hood so it was a snug fit and then did the little nuts up (see photo).

Removing the existing air vents are easy, they just pull out. Get something thin under the edges like a knife and slowly pull it and wiggle it until it comes out entirely.

You then also need to plug the AC vent behind the air vent so that you don't waste air con blowing into the back of your boost gauge. I did what I've seen others do and shove something in it. I got an old pillow case, cut it in half and unceremoniously stuffed it into the hole - (see photo). Not the most elegant solution, but when I tried to make a piece of cardboard to block it instead it was impossible to get the air vent to fit all the way back in. This was way easier and just as effective.
  • Wiring

You'll need to consider how you're going to connect the boost gauge to a 12V power supply as well as earth it.
The red cable is live, and wants a +12V. The black cable is neutral/earth and needs connecting to a grounding point/chassis.

I've got an aftermarket Xtrons Android head unit and one of the wiring looms has a 12V output wire for a camera which I used for the live. If you don't have this and use a standard head unit you've got a bit more work to do as you'll need to wire this into the fusebox to the right of the steering wheel. If that's the case for you then you'll likely want a fuse holder adapter like this.

You'll have to make a longer wire and then wire that under the steering wheel (no idea on how to do this, there are guides around I think) and to the fusebox and choose which fuse to connect it to, usually people go for the cig lighter as it's on with the ignition.

For earth that's easy, make a small extension wire and connect it to the chassis. If you choose to install yours into the vent I did (centre, right) above the head unit then there is a bolt on the chassis a few inches below the hole where the head unit sits which is easy to wire upto, just get a ring connector and make a little earth wire. Unscrew the bolt, put the ring connector on and do it back up. Here's what mine looks like when I did it for the Xtrons which is also earthed to the same point (see photo).

I've not got any pics of the extension wires I made for mine but it's easy to do with some cable and crimp connectors so you plug/unplug it as needed.
  • Vac Line
The vac line is the most tricky bit. You need to remove the glovebox entirely (disconnect your battery first so you don't set off the air bag) and there's a video on YouTube that explains how to do it:

Once that is out completely, remove some trim from the piece directly behind where the glove box was where the carpet ends in the footwell and you'll see a huge bundle of cables that go through the firewall into the engine bay. If you can't see it you're not looking far enough up.

What I did was get a large blunt Phillips screw driver and shove it gently through this hole slowly until I could get past the green sealant and then see it from the engine bay where the battery is (remove the battery entirely, and the plastic box it sits inside) and then you can feed the vac line onto the end of it and slowly pull it back through. I've seen people do it with an old wire coat hanger also, there are some videos on YouTube but maybe someone has a better method they can share with us.

Then I just fed and weaved the vac line through parts of the dashboard to keep it out of the way of the glovebox until I got it to behind the head unit and then that was it. No pics of this part sorry, I'm not removing the glovebox again in a hurry as it's a pain to do, but it's straight forward really.

Here's the finished product:

Photo - Daytime Ignition Off
Photo - Daytime Ignition On
Photo - Nighttime Ignition On

Last edited:
Reactions: J0N and ch1z64
So, since I put pics up of my Boost Gauge Air Vent on the "What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week" I've had a few PMs asking for details on what parts I used, so thought I'd try and write up a guide on how I went about it.

Parts Needed:

• Gauge
I went for a Turbosmart TS-0101-2023 Boost Gauge, 0-30 psi, 52 mm - Amazon link here. I looked at the Defi gauges but they were 4x the price of this one and I don't think it's worth it based on how well this one performs so far.
The dial is fast, and the boost pressure is bang on what it should be so I'm happy.

As this is a vac-line boost and not an OBD2 one, you'll need a boost tap:

• Boost Tap
https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/ho...itting-kit-for-vw-and-audi-20-litre-tfsi.html

BCS fitted mine as part of the Powervalve exhaust but that's the one they used, super easy to fit onto the right hand side of the inlet manifold and then clip the PCV hose back on. You then fit one of those small cylinders into it (remove the plug first with an Allen key) and that's what your hose connects to (see photo). There are 2 taps off mine as it goes to the exhaust valve, but you'll only have 1.

• Spare Air Vent (Optional)
You want a spare air vent as well most likely so you can mess with it and not ruin your existing one. Assuming you're fitting to an S3 like mine get one of these:

Part number - 8p0820901c

If yours is black and not silver then the part number is 8P0820901A. Plenty of those on Ebay also for about £10-15.

Take the air vent apart and remove all the fins and the back plate so that it's empty. Taking the air vent apart is a little tricky, I found a guide for an Audi TT, it's identical to the A3/S3 air vents and helped massively:

http://www.p3cars.com/content/pdf/a3tt-vent.pdf

• Other Misc Parts:
- Vac Line (the gauge does come with some but it's pretty thin and maybe not long enough. I had some much better stuff BCS gave me that is black and much thicker, so maybe consider getting some better stuff.
- Misc electrical wire and connectors, electrical tape - Depends how you're going to wire this up, but you'll need a few feet of insulated electrical wire to connect the gauge to power and earth. A few misc connectors would help here also. B&Q sell all this sort of stuff, I got a pack of ring connectors (for the earth bolt) and some crimp male/females for making the extension cables.
- Socket set for removing the glove box.

Installation:
  • Assemble your gauge into your air vent:
The turbo gauge comes with a mounting bracket which fits almost perfectly inside the air vent once all the other parts are removed from it. So I just lined it up and used a hot glue gun to fix it in place, and then just put a single layer of black electrical tape around the edge of the gauge/plastic hood so it was a snug fit and then did the little nuts up (see photo).

Removing the existing air vents are easy, they just pull out. Get something thin under the edges like a knife and slowly pull it and wiggle it until it comes out entirely.

You then also need to plug the AC vent behind the air vent so that you don't waste air con blowing into the back of your boost gauge. I did what I've seen others do and shove something in it. I got an old pillow case, cut it in half and unceremoniously stuffed it into the hole - (see photo). Not the most elegant solution, but when I tried to make a piece of cardboard to block it instead it was impossible to get the air vent to fit all the way back in. This was way easier and just as effective.
  • Wiring

You'll need to consider how you're going to connect the boost gauge to a 12V power supply as well as earth it.
The red cable is live, and wants a +12V. The black cable is neutral/earth and needs connecting to a grounding point/chassis.

I've got an aftermarket Xtrons Android head unit and one of the wiring looms has a 12V output wire for a camera which I used for the live. If you don't have this and use a standard head unit you've got a bit more work to do as you'll need to wire this into the fusebox to the right of the steering wheel. If that's the case for you then you'll likely want a fuse holder adapter like this.

You'll have to make a longer wire and then wire that under the steering wheel (no idea on how to do this, there are guides around I think) and to the fusebox and choose which fuse to connect it to, usually people go for the cig lighter as it's on with the ignition.

For earth that's easy, make a small extension wire and connect it to the chassis. If you choose to install yours into the vent I did (centre, right) above the head unit then there is a bolt on the chassis a few inches below the hole where the head unit sits which is easy to wire upto, just get a ring connector and make a little earth wire. Unscrew the bolt, put the ring connector on and do it back up. Here's what mine looks like when I did it for the Xtrons which is also earthed to the same point (see photo).

I've not got any pics of the extension wires I made for mine but it's easy to do with some cable and crimp connectors so you plug/unplug it as needed.
  • Vac Line
The vac line is the most tricky bit. You need to remove the glovebox entirely (disconnect your battery first so you don't set off the air bag) and there's a video on YouTube that explains how to do it:

Once that is out completely, remove some trim from the piece directly behind where the glove box was where the carpet ends in the footwell and you'll see a huge bundle of cables that go through the firewall into the engine bay. If you can't see it you're not looking far enough up.

What I did was get a large blunt Phillips screw driver and shove it gently through this hole slowly until I could get past the green sealant and then see it from the engine bay where the battery is (remove the battery entirely, and the plastic box it sits inside) and then you can feed the vac line onto the end of it and slowly pull it back through. I've seen people do it with an old wire coat hanger also, there are some videos on YouTube but maybe someone has a better method they can share with us.

Then I just fed and weaved the vac line through parts of the dashboard to keep it out of the way of the glovebox until I got it to behind the head unit and then that was it. No pics of this part sorry, I'm not removing the glovebox again in a hurry as it's a pain to do, but it's straight forward really.

Here's the finished product:

Photo - Daytime Ignition Off
Photo - Daytime Ignition On
Photo - Nighttime Ignition On

Very nice write up mate

Reactions: phateuk
Great write up. If it helps anyone;

I got my vac line here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221849075000

My boost gauge here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372489813190

And my vent mount kit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163913594823

My boost tap was supplied with my Forge Catch Can kit.

I went through the bulkhead in the same place but I pushed a screwdriver through from the engine side, placed the vac pipe over the screwdriver and pulled it through. It’s absolutely correct that the battery has to come off and the glove box completely out of the way or you’ll never see where you’re going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: phateuk