Serpentine/ribbed belt tensioner on 2.0 tdi cr

Svizoman

Reaction score
Hi,

Need help wit repair instructions how to gain access to the bolt holding serpentine belt tensioner on longintudialy mounted engine. I can see the bolt but there is no room to reach it or to get there with a wrench. Do one need to remove alternator? If so how you do it. I unbolted two long bolts holding alternator but it is stuck there and wont move. I tried to hammer it with wooden bar and hammer but wont move.

For most work on the front of the engine, you need to move the lock carrier out to the service position, after removing the bumper cover.
Even then, you frequently need to buy a shallow/short 3/8”. square drive spline socket, I’ve done that on my 2011 S4.

Reactions: spartacus68
For most work on the front of the engine, you need to move the lock carrier out to the service position, after removing the bumper cover.
Even then, you frequently need to buy a shallow/short 3/8”. square drive spline socket, I’ve done that on my 2011 S4.

Thanks for the instructions, but it seems you did not read my question. I ve allready done timing belt job, all i need now is to replace serpentine belt tensioner. There is a bolt on the back but i cant reach it. Guess you need to remove alternator.

So please adwice on the question or do not!
No hard feelings but there is detailed videos on howto do timing belt or serpentine belt but no info on the serpentine tensioner. Found some for vw skoda with transwerse mounted engine but audi has it longitudional.

If someone has elsa or etka to send me pictures.

If you look at this video hopefully it covers the part you need to replace

Like the way that guy places a bit of tape so not to mix up the new and old parts.
It's tight access there, and all the nuts/bolts will be locked solid.
As rum4mo says it will be a lot easier by pulling the front out to create more access.

Like the way that guy places a bit of tape so not to mix up the new and old parts.
It's tight access there, and all the nuts/bolts will be locked solid.
As rum4mo says it will be a lot easier by pulling the front out to create more access.

I think that you will be getting the same reply as I did, we must try harder??

Like me you based your reply on what was written in the OP, which, as far as I can see, does not mention already having taken everything off including the timing belt!

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Thanks for the instructions, but it seems you did not read my question. I ve allready done timing belt job, all i need now is to replace serpentine belt tensioner. There is a bolt on the back but i cant reach it. Guess you need to remove alternator.

So please adwice on the question or do not!
No hard feelings but there is detailed videos on howto do timing belt or serpentine belt but no info on the serpentine tensioner. Found some for vw skoda with transwerse mounted engine but audi has it longitudional.

If someone has elsa or etka to send me pictures.

Where in your opening posting did you mention having already changed the timing belt during this activity?

Reactions: spartacus68 and audiwaterpump
As I understand it, the OP needs to thread a thin socket through any spaces in that area to get to the bolt head that holds the tensioner on. Sometimes this is possible.
If he can't then more bits need to be removed to gain access.
Normally a lot of parts need to come off to gain access to that bolt.

If OP can upload a video of the current situation/problem then maybe someone can help a bit more.

Not just native english speakers have abbreviations, also one can google it. But abbreviations are not topic here, nor is timing belt or how to remove bumper and get front part into service position. Question was simple: "how to remove or unbolt serpentine belt tensioner" and if for gaining acces to the tensioner bolt one need to remove alternator. It seems native english speakers dont understan english or you simply have no knowledge about the job and talk anything but solution to my problem. Seems i will sooner download and install elsawin than get answers on this forum.

We've got a pretty good track record of helping people on this forum; that's why we have thousands of members in countries all over the world and have flourished for more than twenty years. We're obviously not the place for you, though.

Reactions: spartacus68 and audiwaterpump
Have you read posts #8 & #10?
Can you not thread a small thin socket through whatever small gaps are in that area (just under the alternator) to undo the bolt that holds the tensioner.
If you can take a photo then it would help everyone.

@Svizoman this may help you and others. Let us know how you getting on.

BeltTensionerBolt

The problem with changing the timing belt is that it is very, very easy to do it wrong, and completely destroy your engine.
Hope that isn't the reason why you haven't come back with an update.
Best regards.