Audi S5 3.0T Loud gear level click, help please

campbell

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2012 Audi S5 3.0, when I press the brake pedal on and off I hear a loud click under the gear shifter. What could this be?

I know you can feel a silent click when under normal conditions when holding the gear stick and pressing the brake pedal, but it’s just started doing this.
I tried to upload a video and used the search the engine but no joy.

Any help and how to fix would be greatly appropriated

thanks
Lee

It's normal of course for the locking mechanism to do this, if it's overly loud, then maybe the solenoid is playing up, usually these aren't changeable, whole new gear unit.

Reactions: campbell
It's normal of course for the locking mechanism to do this, if it's overly loud, then maybe the solenoid is playing up, usually these aren't changeable, whole new gear unit.

Cheers for your reply mate, yea it’s overly loud. Only starting doing it two days ago, big job? How much for a replacement do you know!?

They're not cheap & I've done a few, usually have to slide down & removed from underneath, not sure on your year, as of course prop & exhaust are in the way, would need to check etka, I would remove the gear gaitor & stick a torch in there & see what's the noise about, maybe something has slipped in the way.

Reactions: campbell
They're not cheap & I've done a few, usually have to slide down & removed from underneath, not sure on your year, as of course prop & exhaust are in the way, would need to check etka, I would remove the gear gaitor & stick a torch in there & see what's the noise about, maybe something has slipped in the way.
Thanks Pal, much appreciated. I’ll give that a try!

Update, it is the solenoid and falls back down it makes a loud click. More than it should.
Can this solenoid be changed in situ?? Or an easy fix to stop it making the click ?

Surely it’s not a complete gear shift unit replacement ‍♂️

Hi again mate,

it only does this in neutral, like if I’m in traffic for long periods and I put it neutral and take my foot off the brake, Could this click this could be normal!?

As the electro magnet for shift lock is not in any gear so it actually can’t lock in place!? That’s what the clicking noise is.
Can someone do it on their Audi A5/S5 please and tell me if it’s perfectly normal

thanks in advance

Lee