Porsche Calipers

s3ollie

Reaction score
would there be any problems running 996 calipers on the standard size S3 discs.
I presume its just the carrier size that is used as to what discs are required. will the standard discs have the right off set?
can anyone confirm :confused:

not much point....idea behind bigger caliper is to stop bigger discs.
if you are going to the trouble of fitting them you may as well space them and get decent discs
996 four pots go well with 330+ discs

they will work, just not as well as they should

thanks:hi: . is there any oem disc that size that have the correct stud pattern/spacing? are the 3.2 TT and R32 330mm? would they be ok with the 996s'.
I would like to keep cost to a minimum as much as possible so want to stay away from the two piece mega £££ discs if possible and its only for road use really so dont want to go overboard!!

I think you would need custom made caliper brackets to fit them to R32 discs, have a look on ECS (http://www.ecstuning.com/) website im sure they have a whole selection of options using Porsche calipers, also have a load of other goodies on there! Only one thing they are in the states but im sure someone on here distributes for them here...

calipers are easy to make and any machine shop will knock em up for pennies,
I am doing the same thing, got these bad boys on eBay for £280(with pads!)
porkers.jpg

got a spare strut and hub (£20 rs246), mines an A4 so I have gone for Merc ML550 discs at 345x32mm (£150! from a bloke on the web), put disc on strut, caliper on disc, measure twice cut once, two laser cut caliper adapters with four holes and some nice new stainless studs and big brakes here we come!

Slightly different from the A3/S3 you have lug mount calipers, they use radial mounts... easier to get a set of brackets and have them copied! There was a set on the classifieds for the 323 leon discs but they also work with the porsche calipers!

steve123a said:
Slightly different from the A3/S3 you have lug mount calipers, they use radial mounts... easier to get a set of brackets and have them copied! There was a set on the classifieds for the 323 leon discs but they also work with the porsche calipers!

A4 has lug mount struts, my calipers are lug mount also, just means the adapter has parallel bolt holes as opposed to the perpendicular tapped holes on the usual eBay avalable adapters
existing caliper brackets on the web seem to be based on radial calipers mounting on lug struts, and they only work if you stick to the disc combo specified.
since for my application Merc discs are way cheaper than RS4 RS6 or two piece I went down that route.
once you find a disc to fit (remember to look outside the brand, try subaru, dodge etc....its what google was invented for) it is just a case of getting the adapter to match the disc of choice, even getting a set of secnd hand two peice and having new bells made up isn't that pricey, I was quoted £75 for two bells that you will be reusing anyway

I am certainly not going to pay someone £250 for two bits of steel with four holes tapped in them..

jcb said:
and some nice new stainless studs

Stainless?
Are you sure of the tensile strength?

I've never found stainless bolts that have the tensile strength required for brake calliper mounting.
I've only found 12.8 (or higher) in high-tensile steel with a black finish or a cad plated finish...never stainless.

Although it's possible to use lower tensile strength than the original strangth bolts...it's dangerous.

Did you manage to find high tensile strength stainless bolts?
If so...can you tell me where from? I'd like to get hold of some...

Ess_Three said:
Stainless?
Are you sure of the tensile strength?

don't mean stainless...plated, slip of the finger when typing